You are not logged in.

Saturday, August 2nd 2014, 12:27am

The Avira Forum will be moved to the new platform Avira Answers soon. We'll make the transition of existing user profiles and threads as smooth as possible.
New visitors are able to log in on Avira Answers with the existing Avira account directly or sign up with a new account.

• "akl168" started this thread

Date of registration:
Oct 6th 2010

Version:
none

Operating System:
Windows

Wednesday, October 6th 2010, 3:25am

Going from command line to GUI - newbie question

I did try to search but no luck.

I can go to command line using CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE fine. Once there, I can set the IP, scan, etc.

However, I cannot go back to the GUI. I tried running /etc/init.d/rescue/boot - that starts up a GUI but not fully functional. ALT-F7 just gives me a blank screen with a blinking cursor.

I downloaded the ISO from Oct 05, and I'm using an american layout keyboard.

Any hints? Thanks.

• "Alexandru Frigioiu" has been banned

Date of registration:
Dec 8th 2008

Operating System:
XP and VISTA

Wednesday, October 6th 2010, 9:06am

Hi,
I ran this command from the command line:
/etc/init.d/rescue/boot
and I went back to the graphical interface. Please give me more details about "not fully functional".

COD11

Community member

Date of registration:
Feb 16th 2009

Wednesday, October 6th 2010, 6:46pm

Hello,

Quoted from "akl168"

I can go to command line using CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE fine. Once there, I can set the IP, scan, etc.
so GUI works fine in principle ? Why don't you use commandline button under "Miscellaneous" ?

Quoted from "akl168"

However, I cannot go back to the GUI. I tried running /etc/init.d/rescue/boot - that starts up a GUI but not fully functional. ALT-F7 just gives me a blank screen with a blinking cursor.
The behaviour of ALT-F7 is as expected : you kill X graphics server with CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE ... and screen 7 is reserved for the GUI, so blank, if you shot it down. You may change to (commandline) screens 1 to 6 with ALT-F(1,2,3...6). Running /etc/init.d/rescue/boot revitalizes GUI, but starts a second instance of boot script, while the first is still running. They might interfere.
I prefer using

Source code

kill `pidof boot`
(omit line number), since boot script restarts immediately after killing it, so that a single process runs again. Unfortunately a German keyboard layout is used on commandline. You might have some difficulties to find grave accent. Alternatively run "ps" and use PID number of running boot script for a "kill (number)".

Kind Regards
COD11