You are not logged in.

Thursday, April 17th 2014, 8:42pm

Dear visitor, welcome to Avira Support Forum. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "mohanty1942" started this thread

Date of registration:
Apr 17th 2011

Operating System:
Windows XP SP3

Sunday, April 17th 2011, 8:23pm

License expiration of Avira Antivir Personal-Free Antivirus

I am forced to start this new thread since I still can't figure out from which link i can download the license key 'hbedv.key' after the expire of license to extend the license manually . These two documents given below nicely brief how to get the license file , but practically there is no such link to get hbedv.key directly from avira. If it is there why it is deliberately made so difficult to trace it out ?(and i have to write all these ?)

(i) knowledge base "http://www.avira.com/en/support-for-free-knowledgebase-detail/kbid/212" which states that 'In case no updates are performed during this extension period and the license expires, you can manually download the license file from Avira website.'

(ii) Sticky thread by Stefan Berka "http://forum.avira.com/wbb/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=100476" which also states that 'the appropriate license file can be downloaded at http://www.free-av.de/en/download/download_servers.php.'

The link http://www.free-av.de/en/download/download_servers.php mentioned above simply takes me to purchase Avira, where i wonder to figure out where is the link for hbedv.key....

Barrie

Community member

Date of registration:
Jan 31st 2006

Version:
none

Operating System:
Mac OS X 10.8.3

Sunday, April 17th 2011, 8:30pm

Hi,

This link should work.

Barrie
Cordialement - Grüße and Regards.

[Avira Tech Blog - Avira VL Virusscan.jotti -HijackThis - - Avira tools - Online shop - Avira safe mode scan
Sorry NO support via PM > Kein Support über PN > Aucun support par message privé.

• "mohanty1942" started this thread

Date of registration:
Apr 17th 2011

Operating System:
Windows XP SP3

Sunday, April 17th 2011, 8:44pm

Thank you (Barrie) for a quick reply. Yes that is the file, but what is the official way to reach to the link from Avira's website ? I don't think a new user can trace it out such thing .. Why it is not mentioned anywhere ??

And after all why it is required automatic updation for extension of license ? Each manual update file can also contain the licensing data (it is very small /1kb) to be inserted wherever appropriate ..

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "mohanty1942" (Apr 17th 2011, 8:47pm)

marfabilis

Date of registration:
May 14th 2010

Version:
Avira Free Antivirus
Avira Antivirus Suite
Avira Internet Security Suite
Avira Internet Security

Operating System:
System of a Down

Sunday, April 17th 2011, 8:47pm

Hi mohanty1942,

Please read here: http://www.avira.com/en/support-download-free-antivirus
There you'll find a link to this.

Marco
| :: RU | EN | PT-BR | ZH-CN | ZH-TW ::

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "marfabilis" (Apr 17th 2011, 8:48pm)

Barrie

Community member

Date of registration:
Jan 31st 2006

Version:
none

Operating System:
Mac OS X 10.8.3

Sunday, April 17th 2011, 9:02pm

Hi,

You are welcome, not sure why it is hard to find, ?( maybe because normally your license file is always automatically renewed via an update before it expires.
The Automatic license file update is there for various reasons, one being new version releases of Avira.

Barrie

[Avira Tech Blog - Avira VL Virusscan.jotti -HijackThis - - Avira tools - Online shop - Avira safe mode scan
Sorry NO support via PM > Kein Support über PN > Aucun support par message privé.

Thursday, April 21st 2011, 10:40am

Hi,

You are welcome, not sure why it is hard to find, ?( maybe because normally your license file is always automatically renewed via an update before it expires.
The Automatic license file update is there for various reasons, one being new version releases of Avira.

Barrie

Thank you for the link, Barrie. Something weird is going on here. I was just asked at dslreports security forum for a link to renew the license as someone posted who is trying Avira free and was puzzled about how the license renewal worked since the current one expires Sept 1.

I explained that it would be renewed automatically about four weeks before the expiration date, how to do it manually, etc. Before replying, I had used my bookmarks and tried to get the link you have given in other threads periodically to the download for the key. Like the OP, two links I had saved to the license file now take me to purchase Avira. So, I tried the links I have in bookmarks to the various threads that you (and I some of the time) have posted in here that have the link.For EACH of those threads, I got a FORBIDDEN: YOU ARE NOT AUTHORIZED TO ENTER THIS AREA. It shows me LOGGED IN...so what the....??? Why I am I forbidden to read the threads that have a conversation similar to this one and have a link to the key?

This is not the first time I have had this happen. Every time I bookmark a link to downoad the key I am never able later to access that bookmark or it takes me to purchase Avira. So, I had to tell the user at dslreports that I could not access my bookmarks that have the link. He asked again could I find the link, so now I can give him the link. :) :thumbup:

I wonder if I bookmark this thread if later I will be forbidden to access it? Really weird. Oh, I was using my Opera bookmarks which I imported to Fx 4. I thought maybe some of them got messed up with the import so I went to Opera and tried accessing the same bookmarks here and was shown to be logged in here but forbidden to access those threads. Also, to make sure neither Fx or Opera were having problems here, or maybe all my Avira bookmarks were messed up, I was successful in accessing, on both browsers, all other Avira forum bookmarks. So, it is just the threads that contain a link to the key download that I am forbidden to access here from bookmarks. That seems really strange to me.
"If you want to do DRM on a PC then you need to treat the user as the enemy." Ross Anderson in "`Trusted Computing' Frequently Asked Questions"

Barrie

Community member

Date of registration:
Jan 31st 2006

Version:
none

Operating System:
Mac OS X 10.8.3

Thursday, April 21st 2011, 8:34pm

Hi Mele20,

I have found the new site layout quite hard to navigate :wacko: as I suspect many new users coming to Avira also do, and as you many of my original links just sent me to the Avira download page. Never had the forbidden to access message though, WHICH IS EXTREMELY STRANGE. ?(

I thought it might be because I imported my bookmarks into Safari, but no as I had also saved a Doc file with the exact same links as a backup and these also worked no longer. It has taken me ages to find the new working links for various information items. :(

But I am pleased that the above link worked for your friend. :)

Barrie