You are not logged in.

Monday, July 28th 2014, 6:25pm

[Solved] Error code 5

The Avira Forum will be moved to the new platform Avira Answers soon. We'll make the transition of existing user profiles and threads as smooth as possible.
New visitors are able to log in on Avira Answers with the existing Avira account directly or sign up with a new account.

closely

Community member

• "closely" started this thread

Date of registration:
Aug 25th 2009

Version:
Avira Internet Security

Operating System:
Win XP, SP 3

Tuesday, October 18th 2011, 5:43pm

Error code 5

Hi guys,

I'm trying ti install Avira v12 but...

Any ideas?

Date of registration:
Jul 17th 2008

Version:
none

Operating System:
Vista Home Prem., X64

Tuesday, October 18th 2011, 7:58pm

Hi Closely,

Just out of curiosity are you trying to update your current Avira 10 version? Anyway, I found these 2 Threads ... I think one of them might Help you ...

Setup Error Code: 5 File cannot be copied. C:\Users...\avscan.exe

Error code 5

The other thing you might want to try is

1) Complete Uninstall
2) Use the AVIRA Rregistry Cleaner Tool Avira RegistryCleaner
3) Download + Install Download Avira Free Antivirus

Please post back your result for the next person's benefit.

G! :)

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "gonwk" (Oct 18th 2011, 8:06pm)

closely

Community member

Date of registration:
Aug 25th 2009

Version:
Avira Internet Security

Operating System:
Win XP, SP 3

Tuesday, October 18th 2011, 8:24pm

Hi,

"Just out of curiosity are you trying to update your current Avira 10 version?" - Yes.
From the first thread u gave me : See this picture. AFAIK, I don't need to install Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86) (in this case).

Also, I can't uninstall Avira since I can't see the program in Revo Uninstaller or "Add or Remove Programs".

Date of registration:
Jul 17th 2008

Version:
none

Operating System:
Vista Home Prem., X64

Tuesday, October 18th 2011, 11:50pm

Hi Closely,

Just FYI ... I am Not one of the Experts here (MODs) ... just a User like you ... and since I saw noone had responded to your post I wanted to help ... with that said ...

That is odd that you can Not see Avira 10 in Revo Uninstaller. I also use Revo "Freeware" and my OS is Vista 64-Bit ... and as long as your Installed porgram is 32-bit Revo can see it ... it does for me anyway. Now, the Revo Pro can see everything including the 64-Bit proggies.

But, when I said "Complete" uninstall ... all you need to do is go to your Add/Remove Panel and Uninstall from there ... then Manually delete the folder and remaining junk from Programs Folder (you know the Avira Folder) ... so, it does not have anything Old ... then Run Avira Reg Cleaner ...

If I were you after the Reg Cleaner step ... I would shut it down and restart your PC ... then make a Restore Point ... just in case ...

Then install the AVIRA 2012 program using .exe type of file. Then update it onlien as usual ...

Hope this will get you going!

G! :)

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "gonwk" (Oct 19th 2011, 12:02am)

closely

Community member

Date of registration:
Aug 25th 2009

Version:
Avira Internet Security

Operating System:
Win XP, SP 3

Wednesday, October 19th 2011, 1:55pm

Booting in to Safe Mode solved the problem. Thanks for trying to help me.