You are not logged in.

Thursday, April 17th 2014, 11:49pm

Dear visitor, welcome to Avira Support Forum. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "beachmarathoner" started this thread

Date of registration:
Feb 12th 2011

Version:
Avira Internet Security

Operating System:
Vista Home Premium SP2 / XP Pro - husband also has an Avira Internet Security 2012 license

Monday, May 14th 2012, 6:29pm

"Startup of the Application Blocked for your Security" for most applications

This is whether or not they require internet access and seems random as to type (although I'm sure there must be a connection somehow). Happening on my husband's XP Pro after today's update. Nothing shows on Internet Protection-Application Rules or ProActiv Application Filter. Can you please help me get things working for him.

Thanks

marfabilis

Date of registration:
May 14th 2010

Version:
Avira Free Antivirus
Avira Antivirus Suite
Avira Internet Security Suite
Avira Internet Security

Operating System:
System of a Down

Monday, May 14th 2012, 6:36pm

Hi beachmarathoner,

Avira is analyzing and discussing this suspicious behaviour detections with high priority.
Meanwhile, you should see at Realtime Protection report file the processes blocked by Avira ProActiv (Go to Avira Control Center > PC protection > Realtime Protection > Click on Display Report file). Then, follow this workaround.
  • Right-click on your Avira systray icon and choose Configure Avira Antivirus Premium 2012 or Avira Internet Security 2012
  • Enable Expert Mode
  • Go to PC Protection > Realtime Protection > ProActiv > Application Filter > Allowed
  • Type each path (from Realtime Protection report file) in the empty field and click Add >>
  • Click on Apply > OK
----
Everything should work fine now.

Marco
| :: RU | EN | PT-BR | ZH-CN | ZH-TW ::

Date of registration:
Feb 12th 2011

Version:
Avira Internet Security

Operating System:
Vista Home Premium SP2 / XP Pro - husband also has an Avira Internet Security 2012 license

Monday, May 14th 2012, 7:49pm

Thanks for your quick reply. All we can see in the reports are the install files for Avira. We looked through them but couldn't really tell if they also had his application files in there as well - there certainly was nothing obvious to our eyes.

marfabilis

Date of registration:
May 14th 2010

Version:
Avira Free Antivirus
Avira Antivirus Suite
Avira Internet Security

Operating System:
System of a Down

Monday, May 14th 2012, 7:59pm

Hi beachmarathoner,

I'll provide a sample:

Quoted

14/5/2012,09:27:13 [INFO] Avira Internet Security 2012 has been started successfully!
14/5/2012,09:27:55 [INFO] ProActiv was started successfully.
14/5/2012,09:27:57 [INFO] Realtime Protection version: 12.03.00.15, Engine version 8.2.10.64, VDF version: 7.11.29.216
14/5/2012,09:27:57 [INFO] Online services are available.
14/5/2012,09:27:57 [INFO] Realtime Protection was enabled.
14/5/2012,09:28:03 [INFO] ProActiv was enabled
14/5/2012,09:29:02 [INFO] ProActiv blocked access to the following application:
C:\Arquivos de programas\Google\Google Talk\googletalk.exe
14/5/2012,09:30:02 [INFO] ProActiv blocked access to the following application:
D:\Arquivos de programas\Vidalia Bundle\Polipo\polipo.exe

14/5/2012,11:33:13 [INFO] Update process started!
14/5/2012,11:33:27 [INFO] Current Engine Version: 8.2.10.64
14/5/2012,11:33:27 [INFO] Current Pattern File: 7.11.30.20
14/5/2012,12:42:56 [INFO] ProActiv blocked access to the following application:
D:\Arquivos de programas\Vidalia Bundle\Polipo\polipo.exe

14/5/2012,13:33:06 [INFO] Update process started!
14/5/2012,13:33:29 [INFO] Current Engine Version: 8.2.10.64
14/5/2012,13:33:29 [INFO] Current Pattern File: 7.11.30.24
----
Can you see similar messages?

Marco

Date of registration:
May 14th 2012

Version:
Avira Internet Security

Operating System:
Win7Pro

Monday, May 14th 2012, 9:34pm

Can you see similar messages?

Hello I'm having trouble, too. Suddenly Avira blocks my ApacheOpenOffice - here a message

C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 3\program\swriter.exe

14.05.2012,20:41:00 [INFO] ProActiv hat den Zugriff auf die folgende Anwendung blockiert:

C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 3\program\swriter.exe

Your workaround works - I found it in the handbook myself - but why are the applications get blocked (so far scalc.exe and swriter.exe are blocked, sbase.exe can be started) - as there are no entries in the blocking filter?

Sorry for my bad English

Ray

PS.: would it help to deactivate ProActive?

marfabilis

Date of registration:
May 14th 2010

Version:
Avira Free Antivirus
Avira Antivirus Suite
Avira Internet Security

Operating System:
System of a Down

Monday, May 14th 2012, 9:41pm

@Rengel

Your workaround works - I found it in the handbook myself - but why are the applications get blocked (so far scalc.exe and swriter.exe are blocked, sbase.exe can be started) - as there are no entries in the blocking filter?
Avira is analyzing and discussing this suspicious behaviour detections with high priority. If the situation is too complicated to deal, then you can disable Avira ProActiv while a final solution is not provided.

Marco

Date of registration:
Feb 12th 2011

Version:
Avira Internet Security

Operating System:

Monday, May 14th 2012, 9:58pm

I'm so sorry. Of course I was looking in the wrong place for the reports file. We've found the proper file now and are adding the paths one by one. It seems to be working. Unfortunately, as he's working today new applications are being blocked all the time which he's adding as he goes.

The Realtime Protection report also lists an entire page (probably in excess of 100) of applications that are no longer being monitored. Is that because of updates to Avira or is there something else wrong here? Thanks for your help. PS- Firefox has just added itself to the list of things that are no longer monitored - we did not add an exception ourselves.

Date of registration:
Mar 1st 2006

Version:
Avira Free Antivirus

Operating System:
Windows

Monday, May 14th 2012, 10:06pm

Hi,

can you please execute another update and start the system again.

Can you confirm that the message does not appear anymore?
Thomas Schüle
Avira Operations GmbH & Co. KG

marfabilis

Date of registration:
May 14th 2010

Version:
Avira Free Antivirus
Avira Antivirus Suite
Avira Internet Security

Operating System:
System of a Down

Monday, May 14th 2012, 10:14pm

Hi Thomas Schüle,

After a update of antivir0.rdf, the warnings are not appearing anymore here.
Didn't need to reboot here, worked fine after just a single update.

Marco

Date of registration:
Feb 12th 2011

Version:
Avira Internet Security

Operating System:

Monday, May 14th 2012, 10:16pm

To update, Marco. I've been so busy with my husband's XP Pro that I failed to notice that there are a number of programs that are blocked on my Vista Home Premium. So It is also a Vista problem. I am adding the paths to my filter. I do not have the unprotected files problem that the XP has, though.
Thanks

Date of registration:
Jan 25th 2012

Version:
Avira Internet Security

Operating System:
Windows Vista

Monday, May 14th 2012, 11:05pm

@beachmarathoner and Marco,

having the same problem here: applications are blocked. In my case mostly wuauclt.exe and taskeng.exe (both in system32 folder). Running Vista.

Adding them to the Pro-Active allowed applications list did help. My symptom was that windows came up with a window that I needed to be logged on as administrator in order to install proposed Windows updates (though I was logged on with my administrator account).

I managed to install the updates by switching off the online protection (closed umbrella!) before trying the workaround of adding the applications to the list. Updates are now installed so I can't try if it works with applications in Allow list and protection switched on.

I must say I find the issuing of SW update with such behaviour extremely irresponsible and a sign of poor testing. I hope this issue is quickly solved and does not repeat itself. I _am_ paying for this stuff, you know.

Regards
Danny

Date of registration:
Nov 4th 2009

Version:
Avira Free Antivirus
Avira Antivirus Premium
Avira Internet Security
Avira Free Mac Security

Operating System:
Windows 7 64bit

Monday, May 14th 2012, 11:09pm

Hi TomV22,

sorry but i want to understand you correct. Is the problem solved after the update or not ?
Freundliche Gruesse / Best regards
Avira Operations GmbH & Co. KG

Sven Hoffmann
Consumer Support

Date of registration:
Feb 12th 2011

Version:
Avira Internet Security

Operating System:

Monday, May 14th 2012, 11:18pm

No for me. The problem was not solved after the update. I rebooted also, but that did not help. So far only manually adding the application path to the Application Filter works. But I keep finding new applications that I must add. This is happening on two computers - XP Pro and to Vista.

Also, my husband's XP Pro Realtime Protection report lists an entire page of (probably in excess of 100) applications that are no longer being monitored. My Vista Home Premium at least does not have that additional problem.

Thank you for your work.

marfabilis

Date of registration:
May 14th 2010

Version:
Avira Free Antivirus
Avira Antivirus Suite
Avira Internet Security

Operating System:
System of a Down

Monday, May 14th 2012, 11:26pm

Hi beachmarathoner,

Could you please go to Avira installation folder and open the file named antivir0.rdf with your Notepad and tell us which is the file version?
Also, could you please report us what are the paths blocked by Avira ProActiv in your system?

Marco

Date of registration:
Feb 12th 2011

Version:
Avira Internet Security

Operating System:

Tuesday, May 15th 2012, 12:19am

RDF
Version: 10.0.1.0
License date: 8.6.2010

Different paths on the XP and the Vista
5/14/2012,13:24:13 [INFO] ProActiv blocked access to the following application:
C:\Program Files\OpenDNS Updater\OpenDNSUpdater.exe
5/14/2012,13:43:39 [INFO] ProActiv blocked access to the following application:
C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
5/14/2012,13:50:34 [INFO] ProActiv blocked access to the following application:
C:\Program Files\Palm\Palm.exe
5/14/2012,13:51:28 [INFO] ProActiv blocked access to the following application:
C:\Program Files\Documents To Go\DocsToGo.exe
5/14/2012,13:52:01 [INFO] ProActiv blocked access to the following application:
C:\Program Files\Codejedi Inc\Shadow Plan\Shadow.exe
5/14/2012,13:52:22 [INFO] ProActiv blocked access to the following application:
C:\Users\Panda Cub\AppData\Roaming\Transparent\Byki 4\Express\BYKI4Express.exe
C:\Garmin\TrainingCenter\Training Center.exe

These after the first batch I added exceptions earlier - My Husband's XP is entirely different - for instance my mail was ok, his was blocked.

Date of registration:
Feb 12th 2011

Version:
Avira Internet Security

Operating System:

Tuesday, May 15th 2012, 1:24am

Here are the earlier ones blocked which I have since added exceptions for:

5/14/2012,7:56:57 [INFO] ProActiv blocked access to the following application:
C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\Works Shared\WkUFind.exe
5/14/2012,7:57:07 [INFO] ProActiv blocked access to the following application:
C:\Garmin\gStart.exe
5/14/2012,7:57:15 [INFO] ProActiv blocked access to the following application:
C:\Program Files\OpenDNS Updater\OpenDNSUpdater.exe
5/14/2012,7:57:16 [INFO] ProActiv blocked access to the following application:
C:\Program Files\Palm\Hotsync.exe
5/14/2012,7:57:18 [INFO] ProActiv blocked access to the following application:
C:\Program Files\stickies\stickies.exe

Date of registration:
May 15th 2012

Version:
Avira Antivirus Premium

Operating System:
Windows XP

Tuesday, May 15th 2012, 2:45am

Can't do any of the workarounds - all applications blocked

Hi beachmarathoner,

Avira is analyzing and discussing this suspicious behaviour detections with high priority.
Meanwhile, you should see at Realtime Protection report file the processes blocked by Avira ProActiv (Go to Avira Control Center > PC protection > Realtime Protection > Click on Display Report file). Then, follow this workaround.
  • Right-click on your Avira systray icon and choose Configure Avira Antivirus Premium 2012 or Avira Internet Security 2012
  • Enable Expert Mode
  • Go to PC Protection > Realtime Protection > ProActiv > Application Filter > Allowed
  • Type each path (from Realtime Protection report file) in the empty field and click Add >>
  • Click on Apply > OK
----

Marco
Hi beachmarathoner,

• Enable Expert Mode
  • Click on Apply > OK
----

Marco
I can't even get to the point where I can display the report file. The Display Report file option is not present.

The avira control center freezes up with a white screen and becomes non responsive - I can't even get to the place to add applications to the list of allowed exceptions. I have to abort the process to get control of the computer back.

I can't even get to the place where I can turn off avira completely.

My computer has been completely rendered useless by this latest update this morning and this is now A FULL FLEDGED EMERGENCY!!!

Nothing works and I can't do any workarounds.

Date of registration:
May 14th 2012

Version:
Avira Antivirus Premium

Operating System:
XP, Vista, Win 7

Tuesday, May 15th 2012, 3:27am

Since the Service Pack update this morning, ProActiv is blocking on my XP machine at least these programs

RUNDLL32.EXE
NOTEPAD.EXE
REGEDIT.EXE
CMD.EXE

My machine is hamstrung unless I disable ProActiv. This is not funny.

Brendon

Date of registration:
Feb 12th 2011

Version:
Avira Internet Security

Operating System:

Tuesday, May 15th 2012, 3:41am

And those are among the nearly 100 applications that Avira lists as no longer being monitored on my husband's XP Pro machine.

Date of registration:
May 15th 2012

Version:
Avira Antivirus Premium
Avira Internet Security

Operating System:
Windows

Tuesday, May 15th 2012, 4:46am

Our enterprise uses Avira's Business Bundle extensively. We have 100 centrally managed users at this site alone, and a dozen users we support on the road.

This update has been pretty catastrophic. The whole company ground to a standstill.

Upon arriving at work this morning, users were greeted with an Avira update prompting them to restart their machines. Most users did so.

Unfortunately, upon reboot, most users could not log in, as Pro-Activ was blocking the login process. Some users managed to log in, but they could not open Outlook, Excel, or any other apps, due to them being blocked by Pro-Activ.

We quickly informed all users not to reboot, but most had done so already, or ignored our advisory.

After checking this forum and finding the cause of the problem (while waiting on hold with business support), we pushed out a configuration update to disable Pro-Activ. Upon rebooting, on-site users could then log in.

However, the off-site users received the update, but are now unable to connect to the VPN to receive the centrally-deployed configuration update. Trying to support a dozen off-site users who cannot even start their computers is not much fun, that's for sure.

I've been a big proponent of Avira within our company, but I think that may change when it comes time to renew our license in a few months.