You are not logged in.

Friday, April 25th 2014, 9:34am

Dear visitor, welcome to Avira Support Forum. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "ecbritz" started this thread

Date of registration:
Jan 28th 2012

Version:
Avira Antivirus Premium

Operating System:
Windows Vista and Windows 7

Friday, October 5th 2012, 2:39am

How do I remove resistant Avira program folder from my computer?

Earlier this year, I bought a five-computer license for Avira Antivirus Premium and installed it on four computers, all running Windows 7. One of the computers picked up a virus, according to Avira, but Avira could not remove it. I tried an Avira scan in Windows Safe Mode, but that did not solve the problem. Next, I temporarily uninstalled Avira from the specific computer and temporarily installed another anti-virus program which allows a boot-time scan. This operation was successful. After Avira was installed again, it also showed that the virus was gone.

After the incident, I decided to discard Avira and uninstalled it from all four computers. On one of the four computers, Avira uninstalled but the Avira folder located in "Program Files" could not be erased, even when I applied RevoUninstaller Pro. Avira now seems to be disabled on this computer, but the Avira folder with all its contents remains in place and can't be deleted. It worries me because Avira could still be active in some way, conflicting with my new anti-virus software.

I wrote to Avira Support, and was requested to send a file produced by a program they provided. I sent the file, but never heard from them again and thus have not solved my problem to date. Why does the Avira folder resist deletion? Should I perhaps switch off some Windows service to enable final removal of the Avira folder from the computer? Advice would be most welcome!

avon

Community member

Date of registration:
Apr 15th 2008

Version:
Avira Antivirus Suite

Operating System:
Windows 8.1U Pro 32-bit Windows XP Home SP3 32-bit

Friday, October 5th 2012, 6:33am

Have you tried the manual (Avira Registry Cleaner, etc) uninstallation?
http://www.avira.com/en/support-for-home…detail/kbid/902

avon

Community member

Date of registration:
Apr 15th 2008

Version:
Avira Antivirus Suite

Operating System:

Friday, October 5th 2012, 7:09am

I temporarily uninstalled Avira from the specific computer and temporarily installed another anti-virus program which allows a boot-time scan.

=>
Secure Start

Quoted

A secure start is when Avira tries to start ASAP before any other processes start running. The benefit is that since Avira starts first, all processes that start up after will be scanned by the Guard for any malware that may be running. Secure start has actually saved my computer in the past. I did a scan for viruses and it couldn't remove it, so I tried a reboot. Secure start made Avira start first so it could catch the malware starting up, and then was able to kill it.

http://forum.avira.com/wbb/index.php?pag…threadID=109836

Secure Start part 2

Quoted

Go to Start, Run, type cmd, hit enter, a command prompt window will open. Then type these commands in.
cd c:\Program Files
cd Avira
cd AntiVir Desktop
avconfig.exe /WIZARD

http://forum.avira.com/wbb/index.php?pag…threadID=109836

8)

Date of registration:
Jan 28th 2012

Version:
Avira Antivirus Premium

Operating System:

Friday, October 5th 2012, 11:25pm

Thanks very much for the reply. I tried the manual (Avira Registry Cleaner) uninstallation at the time when I discovered that the Avira program folder had not been deleted. But this did not work. Avira Registry Cleaner reported that the changes could not be made. RevoUninstaller Pro seemingly deleted the Avira program folder. But it was copied back automatically, i.e. not really deleted. How do I get rid of the recalcitrant Avira program folder? It seems as if a setting in Windows might be responsible for its resistance to being deleted. But what setting?

Regarding your suggestions about the Avira Secure Start Wizard: I have replaced Avira on all four compters, even though the five paid-up licenses are still running, due to my difficulties with removing a virus found, with uninstallation of the program and with getting support from the company. I might simply have been unlucky. But Avira Secure Start is unfortunately not an option any more.

I don't want to mention the competing replacement anti-virus program. But I would like to mention that I use it conjunction with the non-competing Malwarebytes program (the paid version). This combination now does it for me. Working "under the hood" is part of the Windows experience. But if one has found programs that don't require doing that and solve one's problems, why should you change back?

avon

Community member

Date of registration:
Apr 15th 2008

Version:
Avira Antivirus Suite

Operating System:

Saturday, October 6th 2012, 5:58am

I don't want to mention the competing replacement anti-virus program. But I would like to mention that I use it conjunction with the non-competing Malwarebytes program (the paid version). This combination now does it for me. Working "under the hood" is part of the Windows experience. But if one has found programs that don't require doing that and solve one's problems, why should you change back?

:thumbup:
----------------

Quoted

How do I get rid of the recalcitrant Avira program folder? It seems as if a setting in Windows might be responsible for its resistance to being deleted. But what setting?

If I was in your position:
a) In registry (Run-->Regedit)
1) Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software = Delete the folder named "Avira", if any.
2) Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software = Delete the folder named "Avira", if any.
3) Computer\HKEY_USERS= Check every "user" (in subfolder named "software") and delete the folder "Avira", if any.
b) Then in Windows Safe Mode = Delete the Avirta folder from "Program Files".

This post has been edited 4 times, last edit by "avon" (Oct 6th 2012, 6:04am)

Date of registration:
Jan 28th 2012

Version:
Avira Antivirus Premium

Operating System:

Saturday, October 6th 2012, 9:39am

I have never worked with REGEDIT, it sounds like a big risk, but I'm going to hold my breath and give it a try ...

avon

Community member

Date of registration:
Apr 15th 2008

Version:
Avira Antivirus Suite

Operating System:

Saturday, October 6th 2012, 10:28am

I have never worked with REGEDIT, it sounds like a big risk, but I'm going to hold my breath and give it a try ...

It's not a big deal (to work in registry), anyway if you are novice with it, I strongly recommend you to make a registry backup first.
How To Backup the Registry in Windows 7

Remark:
Keep a copy from the registry backup file in a separate storage media (i.e. USB flash drive).

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "avon" (Oct 6th 2012, 10:38am)

redwolfe_98

Community member

Date of registration:
Nov 14th 2006

Version:
Avira Antivirus Suite

Operating System:
Win XPsp3

Saturday, October 6th 2012, 9:35pm

ecbritz, if you followed the instructions for manually uninstalling the avira program, you should have been able to delete the avira files-n-folders.. when you said that you followed the instructions for manually uninstalling the avira program, you qualified that by saying that you tried to run the avira regcleaner.. there is more to manually uninstalling the avira program than simply running the avira regcleaner.. it also involves booting into "safe mode" and then deleting the avira files-n-folders.. i think that is the crucial part that you failed to do, booting into "safe mode" and then deleting the avira files-n-folders..

i don't know why the avira regcleaner wouldn't work for you.. maybe the avira program's "self-protection" prevented the regkeys from being removed..

in order to be able to run avira's regcleaner, you need to have "microsoft visual c++ 2008sp1" installed, so, if you don't have "microsoft visual c++ 2008sp1" installed, you would have to install it in order to be able to run avira's regcleaner.. also, i don't know if the avira regcleaner will run while your computer is running in "safe mode", but, if it will, maybe it will work, then, while running in "safe mode".. maybe, in "safe mode", the avira program's "self-protection" is not enabled and, so, maybe then the "regcleaner" would be able to remove the avira regkeys..

are you familiar with sysinternals "autoruns"? you could use it to remove some of the avira regkeys.. here is a link for "autoruns":

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902

similar to using "autoruns", you also could use "hijackthis" to remove some avira regkeys..

otherwise, you could try to manually remove the avira program's regkeys..

i might come back with some more information about manually removing the avira regkeys..

try booting your computer into "safe mode" and then deleteing the avira files-n-folders, while in "safe mode"..

also, refer to to the avira knowledgebase article for information about manually uninstalling the avira program.. there is more to it than just trying to run the avira program's "regcleaner".. here is a link to the article:

http://www.avira.com/en/support-for-home…detail/kbid/902

when using avira's regcleaner, the regcleaner-program has not been updated to account for the avira program's new "avkmgr.sys" regkeys.. so, to use the avira regcleaner to remove the "avkmgr.sys" regkeys you would need to use the avira regcleaner program to do a custom search for "avkmgr" regkeys..

you could use the "autoruns" program or the "hijackthis" program to remove regkeys that are associated with "avkmgr.sys".. or you could use windows "regedit" and try to manually remove regkeys associated with "avkmgr.sys" as well as manually removing any other avira regkeys..

if you are going to use "regedit" to manually remove regkeys, you need to be careful about which regkeys you delete.. you could run into problems as a result of deleting regkeys.. sometimes things can get confusing when using "regedit" to search for and remove regkeys, so you have to be careful about which regkeys you are deleting..

the avira KB article, with instructions for manally removing the avira program, fails to mention some of the avira program's files which also need to be removed.. here is a list of them:

Avira 10:
c:\windows\system32\drivers:
avgntdd.sys
avgntflt.sys
avgntmgr.sys
avipbb.sys
ssmdrv.sys
-------------
avira 12:
avgntflt.sys
avipbb.sys
avkmgr.sys
ssmdrv.sys
win xpsp3, "windows firewall", avira antivirus suite, SSM, RegDefend

This post has been edited 4 times, last edit by "redwolfe_98" (Oct 6th 2012, 9:59pm)

redwolfe_98

Community member

Date of registration:
Nov 14th 2006

Version:
Avira Antivirus Suite

Operating System:
Win XPsp3

Saturday, October 6th 2012, 10:33pm

something that, i think, could be an issue when manually uninstalling the avira program is the the avira "LSP", which is tied into the computer's "LSP stack".. maybe it is not a problem when the avira regcleaner has removed all of the avira regkeys.. but, still, it is possible that there could be a problem relating to the "LSP stack"..

to resolve a problem with the "LSP stack", open command prompt and run the command "netsh winsock reset" and then reboot the computer..

however, running the "netsh winsock reset" command will remove regkeys for any third-party programs that have their own "LSP's" registered and so those programs would then need to be reinstalled, in order to restore those program's "LSP's"..

another option for uninstalling the avira program when there is a problem with uninstalling it is to reinstall the program and then to run the uninstall.. that might be the simplest solution.. in case you are asking, 'what do mean by reinstall the program?', i mean download the program's installer and reinstall the program..just run the installer, to install the program.. then, after having installed the program, reboot.. then, after having rebooted, run the program's uninstall..
win xpsp3, "windows firewall", avira antivirus suite, SSM, RegDefend