You are not logged in.

Thursday, July 24th 2014, 10:25am

Dear visitor, welcome to Avira Support Forum. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "wrigs1" started this thread

Date of registration:
Aug 6th 2013

Version:
Avira Free Antivirus

Operating System:
windows vista

Wednesday, August 7th 2013, 2:13am

Avira search bar prevents users viewing complete pages on websites

I discovered the search bar installed in Google Chrome, after the latest update. Its fine in IE, but in Chrome cause websites to display incorrectly.

Try using Chrome on http://themify.me/demo/themes/itheme2/withAvira Search set to visible and then hidden (you will need to refresh the page to see the affect). The Avira bar has caused the sites navigation bar to move and hide content. The above example is a "Wordpress "template" modified and used on thousands of sites - all of which be affected in similar ways. I suspect the same problem will arise with millions of sites and it could hide shopping carts login/out etc etc.

Correct display:

Hidden by Avira:

The technical bit: I may be wrong, but it looks like Avira has broken elementary programming rules for plug-ins and add-ons and have not ensured the use of unique names. (worrying for a security company to make this basic mistake)

Many sites (millions?) refer to their navigation bar in HTML as "nav-bar" and it appears that in Chrome Avira's add on also uses this name (rather than say "avira_navbar"). As a result Avira's style code for its own bar ("data-apn-avira-v7-toolbar_set="bottom" and "data-apn-avira-v7-toolbar_set_bottom="31px") is also applied to the website's Navigation Bar - hiding content.

Appologies if I am jumping to conclusions but I can't imagine my version of Chrome and Avira bar are uniquely faulty.

Is there a planned fix for this?

Will the add-on be automatically be updated for user who already have it installed?

Thanks for any info.

Date of registration:
Aug 6th 2013

Version:
Avira Free Antivirus

Operating System:
windows vista

Wednesday, August 7th 2013, 2:56am

Unfortunately I can't see how to correct my errors in first post.

1. The problem is NOT due to using the same HTML "nav-bar" ID (name).

2. The problem also affects IE

sorry for errors

Date of registration:
Aug 4th 2007

Version:
Avira Free Antivirus
Avira Antivirus Premium
Avira Internet Security

Operating System:
Windows 8.1 Professional X64

Wednesday, August 7th 2013, 6:02am

Unfortunately I can't see how to correct my errors in first post.

1. The problem is NOT due to using the same HTML "nav-bar" ID (name).

2. The problem also affects IE

sorry for errors

this problem has been test not affected with ie and firefox because they have a space for creating toolbar
and using the method only affected chorium base browser

also the toolbar will check and update itself(if have) once you have run on each brower with the toolbar install

Anyway you can send a bug report to the ask support(because this toolbar is build by them)
http://help.ask.com/ics/support/ticketne…p?style=classic
Follow Avira @ App.net
App.net/avira

Date of registration:
Aug 6th 2013

Version:
Avira Free Antivirus

Operating System:
windows vista

Wednesday, August 7th 2013, 12:48pm

Yes it looks like the search bar only causes a problem with Google Chrome (it did affect IE once during my browsing - hence my update; but the avira/ask toolbar was "all weird" and I guess it was just a glitch when IE was opened on that occasion).

Thanks for the information on raising a ticket with Ask which I'll do.

However, the problem appears to prevents users from seeing and using items at the top of the page - often where log out, and shopping are cart placed; and as a security company I don't think Avira should provide a
product which could potentially prevent users from logging out of some sites and leave them vulnerable to XSS attacks.