You are not logged in.

Tuesday, September 2nd 2014, 4:00pm

The Avira Forum will be moved to the new platform Avira Answers soon. We'll make the transition of existing user profiles and threads as smooth as possible.
New visitors are able to log in on Avira Answers with the existing Avira account directly or sign up with a new account.

• "SnoopeReva" started this thread

Date of registration:
Oct 16th 2009

Operating System:
Windows 7

Friday, October 23rd 2009, 10:54am

Real Time Protection

Maybe a very basic question here....but, humor me here, please.

I see the Anti Vri Guard category on overall page is activited...does this mean that Avira offers real time protection....and, if so, why and how often do I have set System Scan category to run.

Thanks for what appears to be a great product....

Princessa

Community member

Date of registration:
Jul 21st 2009

Version:
Avira Free Antivirus

Operating System:
Win 8.1 - 64bit

Friday, October 23rd 2009, 11:07am

I see the Anti Vri Guard category on overall page is activited...does this mean that Avira offers real time protection.
Yes, the Guard is the Real-Time Protection!

and, if so, why and how often do I have set System Scan category to run.

to be more safe, run it once a week.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Princessa" (Oct 23rd 2009, 11:08am)

Miles8322

Community member

Date of registration:
May 31st 2008

Version:
Avira Free Antivirus

Operating System:
Windows 8.1 64bit

Friday, October 23rd 2009, 11:20am

Hi SnoopeReva,

yes, Antivir guard activated means that real time protection against virus-adware-spyware-etc is activated.
But real time protection doesn't scan file that already exsist on your pc before Antivir installation, and it doesn't scan file that you don't open. So periodically is necessary to do a complete system scan.

You can set a scheduled scan in overall page -> Scheduler.

Regards

Date of registration:
May 22nd 2006

Operating System:
XP

Friday, October 23rd 2009, 1:49pm

Hi,
AntiVir has real-time protection offered by Guard component.
For system scan, I think default settings are ok.
Nicolae Moldoveanu
Avira Operations GmbH & Co. KG

Saturday, October 24th 2009, 4:21am

Hi SnoopeReva,

yes, Antivir guard activated means that real time protection against virus-adware-spyware-etc is activated.
But real time protection doesn't scan file that already exsist on your pc before Antivir installation, and it doesn't scan file that you don't open. So periodically is necessary to do a complete system scan.

You can set a scheduled scan in overall page -> Scheduler.

Regards

Guard scans files that were on your computer before you got Avira. It scans in real time not on demand. So, if you enter your downloaded programs folder (which on my computer is huge) Guard will alert on any file in that folder that it considers to be malware. I might be looking at a file in that folder nowhere near (mouse wise) where Guard alerts. Guard has many times alerted on old files of mine. It has always been false positives. A few days ago, I went to a folder on my second internal hard drive looking for a file. About one-half hour later, Guard alerted on a file in the recyle bin on the second hard drive. The recycle bin on that hard drive hasn't been used in two years. Guard looked around in system restore on that drive also (again no use of system restore in two years on that drive) and found eicar and alerted on it. So, Guard is quite capable of rummaging around in files that were on the computer long before you got Avira. It sort of puzzled me but I guess that because I accessed one folder on the older hard drive Guard decided to rummage through the entire drive. I have since excluded that drive from Guard.
"If you want to do DRM on a PC then you need to treat the user as the enemy." Ross Anderson in "`Trusted Computing' Frequently Asked Questions"

Miles8322

Community member

Date of registration:
May 31st 2008

Version:
Avira Free Antivirus

Operating System:
Windows 8.1 64bit

Saturday, October 24th 2009, 11:30am

Hi mele,

you are right, Guard scans files in folder also when you access it. Previously I expressed myself badly, however what I meant is that if you not access specific files or folders, guard doesn't scan them. If you haven't accessed that old folder on your second internal hard drive, Guard never alerted you about the file.
I think that Guard scans System restore point every time I start pc or when I access other partitions, and this is a very good functionality.