You are not logged in.

Thursday, August 21st 2014, 4:22am

The Avira Forum will be moved to the new platform Avira Answers soon. We'll make the transition of existing user profiles and threads as smooth as possible.
New visitors are able to log in on Avira Answers with the existing Avira account directly or sign up with a new account.

• "Youngbear" started this thread

Date of registration:
Oct 9th 2009

Operating System:
Windows Vista SP2

Friday, January 1st 2010, 1:56am

My first virus with Avira/what to do?

:huh:
Hello out there! :huh: :huh: :huh:

My scan found a trojan virus and the only actions I saw available to me were to mouse on the "Repair All" or "Cancel" buttons. I chose "Repair All." Reading the help files that downloaded with the program lead me to believe that the trojan is not off my system, but has been quarantined. Is this correct? Where on my system is this quarantine, and when I find it, how do I get the virus completely off my system? I really don't like the idea that a trojan is sitting in my system, even if it is in quarantine.

I'm sure this question is basic for you - but it is my first virus, and I really do not know what to do, so, I thank you very much for your time and trouble.

Will check in with this site day after New Years (Jan. 2nd.)

Thanks!
Youngbear

Wizho

Community member

Date of registration:
May 6th 2009

Operating System:
Windows XP SP3, Windows 7 Ultimate, Ubuntu

Friday, January 1st 2010, 3:02am

Hi and happy new year! Here in Mexico we still have 4 hours left till Jan 1st.

There's nothing to worry about, in the quarantine the trojan is encrypted and it represents no harm to your system anymore.
You can see it double-clicking on the Avira icon on the taskbar, then go to Administration > Quarantine.
From there you can permanently delete the file from your system, it is recommended to send infections to quarantine rather than deleting them immediately on detection, because it might be a false alarm.

Best regards and good luck :thumbup:

• "Youngbear" started this thread

Date of registration:
Oct 9th 2009

Operating System:
Windows Vista SP2

Friday, January 1st 2010, 6:55pm

Hello, Wizho! Good instructions - thanks!

:) Thanks, Wizho!

Very easy! One last question. When I deleted the trojan from my quarantine file it did not end up in my recycle bin. I assume it was directly deleted from the system. I ran my virus program again and came out clean. May I assume that the trojan is no longer on my system or that it has been overwritten with some code? Just curious about how the process of direct deletion works.

Thanks again!
Youngbear :)

Wizho

Community member

Date of registration:
May 6th 2009

Operating System:
Windows XP SP3, Windows 7 Ultimate, Ubuntu

Saturday, January 2nd 2010, 2:49am

RE: Hello, Wizho! Good instructions - thanks!

:) Thanks, Wizho!

Very easy! One last question. When I deleted the trojan from my quarantine file it did not end up in my recycle bin. I assume it was directly deleted from the system. I ran my virus program again and came out clean. May I assume that the trojan is no longer on my system or that it has been overwritten with some code? Just curious about how the process of direct deletion works.

Thanks again!
Youngbear :)

Avira does not send threats to the recycler when you delete them from quarantine. They get permanently deleted from the system.
I am not pretty sure how Avira deletes files, I assume it physically writes zeroes on the file to make it unrecoverable.

Date of registration:
Jan 5th 2009

Operating System:
XP

Tuesday, January 5th 2010, 9:12am

Hi,

I think this issue is solved now.
Thanks for choosing Avira
Alexandru Manea
Avira Operations GmbH & Co. KG