You are not logged in.

Friday, July 25th 2014, 9:30pm

The Avira Forum will be moved to the new platform Avira Answers soon. We'll make the transition of existing user profiles and threads as smooth as possible.
New visitors are able to log in on Avira Answers with the existing Avira account directly or sign up with a new account.

  • "eitsem" started this thread

Date of registration:
Jan 5th 2010

  • Send private message

1

Tuesday, January 5th 2010, 6:15pm

Web pages being redirected to api.mybrowserbar.com - a virus/trojan/malware?

Hi,

I keep on being directed to a web address starting with api.mybrowserbar.com from my normal websites, not all the time, but very frequently. (such as http://api.mybrowserbar.com/cgi/errors.cgi?q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Eavira%2Ecom%2Fen%2Fpages%2F404%2Ephp%3Furl%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww%2Eavira%2Ecom%252Fknowledgebase&type=404&ISN=D99360E30CD747BEBFE70E1F0E1306C0&ccv=130&cnid=867034&cco=US&ct=7)

As far as I can determine, this usually happens in conjunction with losing my internet connection for a short while. i.e., if I am trying to load a page and the wireless has just cut off, the “connection lost” page’s address turns out in this api.mybrowserbar format. The reason for losing the connection is always DNS-related and usually picks up again. Also this sometimes occurs with self-refreshing sites (such as an up-to-date tv listing).

With a little googling I was able to find some hints of a linkage with Yahoo!, however I have no Yahoo! toolbar or like installed.

I only use Firefox, so do not know if this would happen in internet explorer. I have removed and reinstalled firefox, with no avail.

I have recently updated to Windows 7 and reinstalled most of my software. I performed a full system scan (report). Also, a system scan in safe mode is attached. (as well as details of a pequliar error when saving the virus scan report.
No viruses found, only about a dozen warnings.

Search did turn up a few hits on this forum, but in German, which I can't understand.

Any ideas on what would help?

Thanks a million!

NiteHawk

Community member

Date of registration:
Feb 14th 2006

Operating System:
XP Pro SP3, Windows 7 Pro - Ubuntu 10.04 LTS

  • Send private message

2

Tuesday, January 5th 2010, 6:34pm

Hi eitsem!

Any chance that you installed "PDF Creator"? (See http://www.mularien.com/blog/2009/03/24/…oolbar-warning/)

It sounds like you're plagued by an aggressive adware named SearchSettings / MyBrowserBar, which gets installed with various browser "toolbars" or extensions. Open your control panel and check if you can find those under "Add/Remove Programs". If so, please uninstall them.

If the situation doesn't improve, please create a HijackThis log and copy it to your next post.

Regards, NiteHawk

  • "eitsem" started this thread

Date of registration:
Jan 5th 2010

  • Send private message

3

Wednesday, January 6th 2010, 4:11pm

Thank you so much! I found the SearchSettings v1.2.3. by Spigot, Inc and promptly uninstalled. This seems to have completely solved the problem.

I had installed a Firefox extension that creates pdfs, though can't remember what it was called (as I have since reinstalled firefox getting rid of all add-ons).

Again, thanks!

NiteHawk

Community member

Date of registration:
Feb 14th 2006

Operating System:
XP Pro SP3, Windows 7 Pro - Ubuntu 10.04 LTS

  • Send private message

4

Wednesday, January 6th 2010, 7:40pm

You're welcome. :) I'm pleased you could solve this and Thanks for your feedback.

Regards, NiteHawk