You are not logged in.

Friday, July 25th 2014, 12:08pm

The Avira Forum will be moved to the new platform Avira Answers soon. We'll make the transition of existing user profiles and threads as smooth as possible.
New visitors are able to log in on Avira Answers with the existing Avira account directly or sign up with a new account.

• "Katzy" started this thread

Date of registration:
Jun 3rd 2006

Sunday, August 15th 2010, 5:47pm

Sorry, Avira. But, I'm leaving you. :(

I use a lot of portable apps and Avira is constantly going mental over them. (I use Thinstall and VMWare).

As "Always ignore" seems to use a definition of "Always" that's different to mine and the dictionary's, Avira just won't give me any peace! Even trying to make such items "exceptions" seems a bit hit'n'miss, sadly.

It wouldn't be quite so bad if v10 didn't have to "Scan system" every time.

It's just too annoying and time-consuming to carry on with Avira, I'm afraid.

As I don't store any private information on my machine, I'll probably go without an AV, now.

Thanks for everything, Avira. Particularly as you were free.

I hope you go from strength to strength.

Sadly, I won't be with you, any more. :(

Hank52

Community member

Date of registration:
May 22nd 2007

Operating System:
Windows XP Home

Sunday, August 15th 2010, 6:23pm

Why don't you go back to Version 9?? Version 10 is to Buggy for me so I'm still using 9. I still get all the newest Defs. Never have any problems with it.

FileHippo

FileHippo

Ken:

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Hank52" (Aug 15th 2010, 6:26pm)

marfabilis

Date of registration:
May 14th 2010

Version:
Avira Free Antivirus
Avira Antivirus Suite
Avira Internet Security Suite
Avira Internet Security

Operating System:
System of a Down

Sunday, August 15th 2010, 7:47pm

RE: Sorry, Avira. But, I'm leaving you. :(

I use a lot of portable apps and Avira is constantly going mental over them. (I use Thinstall and VMWare).
As I don't store any private information on my machine, I'll probably go without an AV, now.

Each person has their way of dealing with privacy, some don't care, others are concerned about privacy.
I also use some portable applications but never had problems with them.
You can even set the files in the exclusion area of the Guard (Configure Antivir > tick "Expert mode" > Guard > Scan > Exceptions)
You can even upload the files being detected by Avira (many files you can request FTP account) or send the URL's where you downloaded the files to a moderator perform the checking of the files. Anyway if you still want to uninstall Avira, good luck Katzy :thumbup:

Regards,

Marco
| :: RU | EN | PT-BR | ZH-CN | ZH-TW ::

kevin009

Community member

Date of registration:
Aug 9th 2007

Operating System:
Windows 7

Monday, August 16th 2010, 7:43am

Hi,
If your portable applications are being labeled as APPL or SPR, you can just disable them in the "Extended Threat Categories".

Monday, August 16th 2010, 2:29pm

I use VMWare and Avira does not alert on it. But I use the default setting for Extended Threat Categories. Like Kevin said you should do that also. Plus, I use Avira 8. I can't stand version 10 as, like you said, you have to endure that Luke scan anytime Guard alerts. I won't put up with that silliness. I have ver 9 on a VMWare virtual machine and it works just fine and I use 8 on my host XP Pro machine.
"If you want to do DRM on a PC then you need to treat the user as the enemy." Ross Anderson in "`Trusted Computing' Frequently Asked Questions"

Date of registration:
Jun 3rd 2006

Thursday, August 26th 2010, 1:20pm

Thanks for the good wishes.

For me, everything would be OK, if "Always ignore" meant "Always" and not "Until the next time".

I spent more time waiting for the so-called "System scan" to do it's thing, than I did using the app that I was trying to use.

"Irritating" just doesn't begin to describe it.

Fair dos, one shouldn't expect too much from a product that is free. I will always be very grateful, indeed, that Avira has served me exceptionally well for so many years.

I still have Avira on one of my lappies.

I'll try your suggestions about the "Extended Threat Categories" thing, with that.

If it does the job, I may well return.

Again, thanks for everyone's comments. I appreciate them, very much, indeed. :)

I wonder why it's impossible to post, here, using Opera....

I keep getting "The data you have entered is invalid. Please check the information you have given by the marked fields." even though it is.

Most odd.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Katzy" (Aug 26th 2010, 1:21pm)

kevin009

Community member

Date of registration:
Aug 9th 2007

Operating System:
Windows 7

Thursday, August 26th 2010, 1:32pm

Hi,

Quoted

For me, everything would be OK, if "Always ignore" meant "Always" and not "Until the next time".
The product was not designed like this, because it could be dangerous (for newbies) and anyone who forgot that they had added exceptions in that easy way.

Quoted

I spent more time waiting for the so-called "System scan" to do it's thing, than I did using the app that I was trying to use.
Please revert to AntiVir version 9 to avoid this problem. Even I still use Avira 9 on my side.

Quoted

I keep getting "The data you have entered is invalid. Please check the information you have given by the marked fields." even though it is.
Unfortunately, Opera has issues with this forum. Please use Internet Explorer or Firefox or an older version of Opera.

Friday, August 27th 2010, 2:42am

Thanks for the good wishes.

Most odd.

Known issues with Woltlabs Burning Board software used here and Opera versions past 10.10. But, for me, at least, the problem was fixed last night by Avira Admin who updated the board software (I guess Woltlabs finally issued a patch). I use Opera 10.61 on XP Pro SP2 and as of this board's software update, I can now post here with NO PROBLEMS using the current Opera version. I also could not post here using Iron/Chrome/Chromium until the software fix last night. Unfortunately, the results for others has been mixed with one user saying they had to reinstall Opera 10.10 to be able to post here but I don't know what version they used that still will not work here. Another person using Opera 10.50 said they also were still having a problem here. I would suspect that any patch from Woltlabs would be designed for the latest Opera version so I think anyone still having problems here using Opera should try to use 10.61. I had the same error you posted (and even stranger problems with Iron here). But now it works fine. Oh, and the board software update fixed Iron/Chromium problems here also. I can now post fine using it also.
"If you want to do DRM on a PC then you need to treat the user as the enemy." Ross Anderson in "`Trusted Computing' Frequently Asked Questions"

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Mele20" (Aug 27th 2010, 2:44am)

Date of registration:
Jun 3rd 2006

Sunday, August 29th 2010, 11:49am

Quoted

The product was not designed like this, because it could be dangerous (for newbies) and anyone who forgot that they had added exceptions in that easy way.

Maybe a warning with the relevant information could be made to pop up.

Something like "This MEANS "Always". Are you certain?".

With Opera v10.61, the problem persists, sadly.

kevin009

Community member

Date of registration:
Aug 9th 2007

Operating System:
Windows 7

Sunday, August 29th 2010, 1:31pm

Quoted

Maybe a warning with the relevant information could be made to pop up.

Something like "This MEANS "Always". Are you certain?".
Well, that option was there only in AntiVir 9, and it is no longer there in AntiVir 10. So there's no point discussing it, since the development of AntiVir 9 is already closed (except for any future critical issues / patches / program updates).

Quoted

With Opera v10.61, the problem persists, sadly.
It doesn't work for me either. So I'm still using Firefox.

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "kevin009" (Aug 29th 2010, 1:35pm)

Date of registration:
Jun 3rd 2006

Wednesday, September 1st 2010, 12:30am

Well, it's all a bit academic.

I've removed Avira and am gloriously anti-virus free.

I'll do an olnline scan at Housecall, every now and then, I guess.

I'd typed a long post, thanking Avira for being my friend, for so long.

Unfortunately, I'd forgotten about the Opera thing and I hit "Submit"and lost the bloody lot, so...

You've been my friend for many years, Avira.

I'm exceedingly grateful for the good things that you did, for me, over the many years that we've shared, together.

I'm very, very sad to see you go.

But, like a friend who pops around just that little too often, you've just become too irritating, sadly.

May you find success with everything that you do.

I'm just so sorry that we had to part, like this.

Wednesday, September 1st 2010, 8:56am

Sorry to see you go and sorry Opera still won't work here for you...I know that feeling well about losing your entire post because you forget Opera won't post here. I'm lucky that is fixed for me.

I just PRAY THAT AVIRA IS PAYING ATTENTION to your lament and that of MANY MANY OTHER USERS.

PLEASE, Avira, give us a toggle switch, or a button to check in advanced mode, so that us more advanced users can turn OFF that ridiculous, extremely irritating Luke scan after Guard alerts. Otherwise, be prepared for a lot more posts like Katzy's (and for all those who just leave without bothering to come here and give feedback).

Date of registration:
Jun 3rd 2006

Friday, September 17th 2010, 12:44pm

I just PRAY THAT AVIRA IS PAYING ATTENTION to your lament and that of MANY MANY OTHER USERS.

PLEASE, Avira, give us a toggle switch, or a button to check in advanced mode, so that us more advanced users can turn OFF that ridiculous, extremely irritating Luke scan after Guard alerts. Otherwise, be prepared for a lot more posts like Katzy's (and for all those who just leave without bothering to come here and give feedback).

Seems that nobody's listening.

Or, maybe, nobody cares. :(

kevin009

Community member

Date of registration:
Aug 9th 2007

Operating System:
Windows 7

Friday, September 17th 2010, 4:47pm

Quoted

Seems that nobody's listening.

Or, maybe, nobody cares. :(
In fact, this issue has already been discussed in the forum. But there was no official response from Avira. We can only hope that such an option comes in the next version of AntiVir.

Date of registration:
Jun 3rd 2006

Thursday, November 4th 2010, 2:11pm

I switched to Avast and I'm glad I did.

Their forum works using Opera, too.

So, all's good. :)

Barrie

Community member

Date of registration:
Jan 31st 2006

Version:
none

Operating System:
Mac OS X 10.8.3

Thursday, November 4th 2010, 4:10pm

Hi Katzy,

Really sorry to see you go, :( 2006 was a great year.

Quoted

Original by kevin009
In fact, this issue has already been discussed in the forum. But there was no official response from Avira

You hit the nail on the head, (official response), this is all that would be needed some times in order to put the OP mind at rest knowing that there valid concerns were being looked at or reviewed by an Avira representative.

Barrie
Cordialement - Grüße and Regards.

[Avira Tech Blog - Avira VL Virusscan.jotti -HijackThis - - Avira tools - Online shop - Avira safe mode scan
Sorry NO support via PM > Kein Support über PN > Aucun support par message privé.

Date of registration:
Jun 3rd 2006

Tuesday, December 21st 2010, 8:36pm

And still I get e-mails telling me how great Avira is and how I REALLY ought to go Pro.

GO AWAY!!!

Farger

Date of registration:
Jul 10th 2009

Version:
Avira Free Antivirus
Avira Ultimate Protection Suite
Avira Internet Security

Operating System:
Windows XP/ Windows 7

Tuesday, December 21st 2010, 9:17pm

Hi Katzy,

...but you have switched to Avast :D
Scotty is currently on patrol

Barrie

Community member

Date of registration:
Jan 31st 2006

Version:
none

Operating System:
Mac OS X 10.8.3

Tuesday, December 21st 2010, 10:07pm

Hi Katzy,

You need to edit your profile, or request a Mod to terminate your forum account.

Barrie
Cordialement - Grüße and Regards.

[Avira Tech Blog - Avira VL Virusscan.jotti -HijackThis - - Avira tools - Online shop - Avira safe mode scan
Sorry NO support via PM > Kein Support über PN > Aucun support par message privé.

kevin009

Community member

Date of registration:
Aug 9th 2007

Operating System:
Windows 7

Tuesday, December 21st 2010, 11:31pm

It appears to me that Katzy is talking about the Avira newsletter. If yes, then it should be unsubscribed from. I haven't heard of emails from this forum, except when we have subscribed to the thread to be notified by email. Katzy should be more specific on what type of emails from Avira he is receiving so that we can tell how to unsubscribe from it.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "kevin009" (Dec 21st 2010, 11:36pm)