You are not logged in.

Wednesday, April 23rd 2014, 1:58pm

Dear visitor, welcome to Avira Support Forum. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "Diogenes524" started this thread

Date of registration:
Nov 21st 2010

Operating System:
XP

Sunday, November 21st 2010, 7:36am

Avira XP problems

I have had recent problems that appear to be in line with what I have read in this forum , since I can't post a reply to a thread I will start this one.

Was running along fat dumb and happy with XP and Avira V9. All XP updates installed ( Dell XPS400).

Then I upgraded to Avira V10, shortly after that Microsoft pushed out a bunch of updates and they were installed, and AOL pushed out a new version of AOL desktop.

Found that if I let the PC run overnight that when I went to use it in the morning it was practically non-responsive. Parts of windows missing, text missing, got "failed to initialize" errors , couldn't even shutdown the PC except via the power button.

After restart it seemed to be OK, ran virus scans, malwarebytes on it also, and it came up clean.

Left it for a few hours and it started to malfunction again.

Using system restore I rolled back to just after I had upgraded to V10. And I have not allowed Microsoft updates to install any updates, and have been using the previous version of AOL.

The PC has been working fine for a couple days now.

Next step I was tempted to take was to install one MS update at a time and run for a day or so to see if the problem comes back. Will let you know what happens with that.

Also , I have another PC ( Home Brew) at a different location that has started to show similar symptoms . The sequence of events were upgrade from Avira V9 to V10. Followed by pushed out updates from MS. It is also an XP machine. No AOL on that machine.

Right now it would seem to be either a V10 vs MS updates problem or a problem when upgrading from V9 to V10, then getting MS updates. But that is just based on observation, no facts to back it up.

I will try to report more if I see anything happen when installing updates.

Regards,

D

johnyjohn

Date of registration:
Mar 28th 2008

Version:
Avira Free Antivirus
Avira Antivirus Premium
Avira Internet Security

Operating System:
Windows 7 SP1 / Windows Vista & 8 on VBox

Monday, November 22nd 2010, 5:12pm

Hi,

Please update AntiVir as there was a fix today. Updated version is 10.0.0.596.
Cordialement - Best regards - Grüße :)
Aucun support par message privé - No support per PM - Kein Support über PN
Une assistance téléphonique en français est disponible pour Avira Antivirus Premium et Avira Internet Security : voici le lien
Tutoriels en français : HijackThis - Rescue CD - Malwarebytes’
English Tutorials : HijackThis - Rescue CD - Malwarebytes’

Date of registration:
Nov 21st 2010

Operating System:
XP

Monday, November 22nd 2010, 9:07pm

Update

I did the update and was going to let it run overnight , then if that worked allow the MS XP updates to install.

But , I saw in another thread a moderator indicated that this update is not fixing the memory problems, which are likely whats causing my problems.

So will wait for an update that addresses that . Will check to see if the current update works overnight , but put off XP updates.

Thanks for letting me know there was an update.

D

Date of registration:
Nov 21st 2010

Operating System:
XP

Tuesday, November 23rd 2010, 7:03pm

Overnight

After installing the 10.0.0.596 update, ran it overnight and all seems well.

Still going to hold off on installing the MS updates as I am guessing that if I do install them the XP memory problem will return.

Hope the fix comes soon. Don't like running without being current on XP updates.

D

Date of registration:
Nov 21st 2010

Operating System:
XP

Thursday, December 9th 2010, 11:39pm

Updated to current

Updated to current version of 10.0.0.607 , updated XP with all available updates.

Things appear to be stable now.

However, while running a system scan ( Luke Filewalker) the Floppy Drive was being accessed frequently.

I thought that issues had been resolved , guess not.

D.