You are not logged in.

Friday, August 22nd 2014, 9:51am

The Avira Forum will be moved to the new platform Avira Answers soon. We'll make the transition of existing user profiles and threads as smooth as possible.
New visitors are able to log in on Avira Answers with the existing Avira account directly or sign up with a new account.

• "jb2362" started this thread

Date of registration:
Jul 15th 2011

Operating System:
Windows XP

Thursday, November 17th 2011, 12:53am

How to I get rid of the popup or nag messages?

Hello,

For some reason my last post was deleted? I would like to know if you are going to be sending out an update that gives me the option or removes the popup, nag, or slider messages that keep popping up just above the system tray? First I was getting a message that stated Now available with configurable game mode! See image below.

That went away and for the last few days I've been getting the message upgrade to the Premium version of 2012? See image below

All I'm asking is to be straight with me, if this is something I'm going to have to contend with for using the Free Version, so be it! At least I know where Avira stands on this issue and if they are not going to come up with a fix for these messages, I will have to to think about reviewing and testing different companies antivirus software!

Thanks,
John Behringer

marfabilis

Date of registration:
May 14th 2010

Version:
Avira Free Antivirus
Avira Antivirus Suite
Avira Internet Security Suite
Avira Internet Security

Operating System:
System of a Down

Thursday, November 17th 2011, 1:48am

Hi John,

Please read: How can I turn off the Notifier, i.e. the ad in Avira Free Antivirus?

Officially, there is no way to disable this slide pop-up. These advertisements are the "price" for Avira Free Antivirus.
Only Avira Premium & Internet Security users can disable these notifications (unchecking them at Product Message Subscription Center).

Marco
| :: RU | EN | PT-BR | ZH-CN | ZH-TW ::

marfabilis

Date of registration:
May 14th 2010

Version:
Avira Free Antivirus
Avira Antivirus Suite
Avira Internet Security

Operating System:
System of a Down

Thursday, November 17th 2011, 3:53am

Hi John,

This kind of advice or any attempt to disable the Notifier is not allowed / supported here, so your last post was disabled.
These slide pop-ups are part of the Avira Free Antivirus product and must be kept due to the same purpose that was previously posted.

Marco

Date of registration:
Nov 17th 2011

Version:
none

Operating System:
window7

Thursday, November 17th 2011, 6:11am

Hi marfabilis,

You should report to your marketing department (I assume that you work for Avira; if not - then tell your Avira rep) that nag messages like this are more likely to drive users to a competing product than to get us to buy the product.

The big popup dialog that happened frequently was bad enough, but these slider notifications are far more annoying. Did nobody tell your people that annoying your customers is a really, really bad idea?

If I ever was considering upgrading from the free version of Avira, now that you've annoyed me, I'm not interested in giving you my money because you've ticked me off with these nag slider messages. So you can be sure that unless they go away before I get so tired of them that I change to a different antivirus, I'll be spending my money elsewhere and they'll have achieved nothing. AND, I won't be recommending Avira to my friends any more.

And, just in case your people think "he's just one user (and he's using the free version anyway) so why should we pay attention to him?" - they should ask themselves how many people like me, and jb2362, feel the same way but instead of saying so they silently switch to another product?

Perhaps they should gather some statistics from the data update portal - see whether / how many users have stopped pulling updates since the nag version was released. That would be interesting.

Date of registration:
Apr 15th 2011

Operating System:
Various Windows Platform

Thursday, November 17th 2011, 12:50pm

You are dead on Felix. I am another and my "pipeline" our my customers so it's not just one, or two or three. Mess with one of us and we will pull it from our clients which are hundreds.

I like Avira, testing their product was up there and if I recall on earlier versions you had an option to turn these off.

As mentioned, I like Avira, but a lot less now and after testing some of the other A/V out there, it may be time to move to someone else (and bring my clients too who paid)

marfabilis

Date of registration:
May 14th 2010

Version:
Avira Free Antivirus
Avira Antivirus Suite
Avira Internet Security

Operating System:
System of a Down

Thursday, November 17th 2011, 1:16pm

@Felix909 @AirPower4ever

First of all, this thread belongs to jb2362.
Also, Felix909, advertisements are not something new for Avira Free Antivirus users. I can only report a negative feedback but I cannot do anything about it.

Marco

Date of registration:
Nov 17th 2011

Operating System:
winxp

Thursday, November 17th 2011, 1:22pm

I agree completely with the previous two posters (Felix909 and AirPower4ever) !

I've been using the free version for some time now and sincerely recommending it to friends and colleagues. But your new, "business" tactics are extremely wrong. If your bosses and/or marketing department think that they can force us into buying something by annoying us with constant nagging, they must be naive and incompetent for their positions! No offence meant, I'm only telling you the facts. With adding nag screens of the kind you have efectivelly turned what was the best free AV product into a piece of adware (which most of the people see equal as any other malware - I mean if i can not use my computer normally and have to keep stoping from whatever I am doing and click some stupid commercial messages (that will btw never convince me into buying anything, on the contrary!), then it is malware!

It was my first and probably my last post here, not interested much in joining communities and doing endless debates regarding certain products. what I wanted was a simple and free antivirus software that will not hog the resources or slow down the computer and that will auto-update its virus lists without me even knowing. Antivira happened to be that, but it is far from it now.

I'm not a hacker and I do not intend to waste my time on applying various dirty tricks in order to block the nag screens and notifiers. What I'll do (and I'm doing right now) is looking for another free antivirus software that behaves like the software of the kind should.

I understand that you live off those, who use the software on their business computers - but it is us, free users that are making you all the publicity. The history of software is full of excellent products that failed to become popular, because their authors became too greedy. And vice versa. It's your call.

Good bue and do not quit your daytime jobs, seems you'll be needing them soon, once people stop being interested in Avira.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "mkoc" (Nov 17th 2011, 1:36pm)

• "jb2362" started this thread

Date of registration:
Jul 15th 2011

Operating System:
Windows XP

Thursday, November 17th 2011, 9:50pm

Hi Marco,

I totally understand when you state that what I suggested for disabling the notifier is the kind of advice that is not allowed / supported in the forum, so you disabled. my last post ! It is your forum and you have the right to remove any content that you deem is unsupported, but I have a feeling it probably would have worked. I also realize that the slide pop-ups are part of the Avira Free Antivirus product and must be kept due to the same purpose that was previously posted, again they are giving the product to us to use for free. But I must say they can be annoying, especially if someone is working on a project in full screen mode and focus is taken away because the slide popups or nag messages are sitting over what they are working on and they have to stop to click the X to close them. So on one hand I can understand where Felix909, AirPower4ever, and mkoc are coming from! Thanks for being straight with me on the subject.

John

marfabilis

Date of registration:
May 14th 2010

Version:
Avira Free Antivirus
Avira Antivirus Suite
Avira Internet Security

Operating System:
System of a Down

Thursday, November 17th 2011, 10:35pm

Hi jb2362,

Unfortunately, I don't feel happy to do it, but I have to do. We're expecting improvements for "Avira In Product Messaging" in the next patch, so let's wait.
What I can say is that the ads should continue as it always happened, but hopefully without bugs.

Marco

Date of registration:
Nov 17th 2011

Operating System:
windows 7 pro SP1

Thursday, November 17th 2011, 11:51pm

I dont mind having the ad, but seems like the new 2012 is slow and buggy and causing problem like this to me
http://forum.antivir.de/wbb/index.php?pa…threadID=136669

Are there any way to roll back to 2011 version for the time being before all the problems are fixed?

marfabilis

Date of registration:
May 14th 2010

Version:
Avira Free Antivirus
Avira Antivirus Suite
Avira Internet Security

Operating System:
System of a Down

Saturday, November 19th 2011, 6:48pm

Hi UCCOFFEE,

Please, next time keep on the topic.

There is no 2011 version, only Avira AntiVir Personal 10 version. Also, there is no way to do an automatic "roll back".
You should uninstall the current version (2012), download Avira AntiVir Personal 10 from here, and perform a new installation.

Marco

Date of registration:
Mar 27th 2012

Version:
Avira Free Antivirus

Operating System:
Windows 7

Tuesday, March 27th 2012, 6:41pm

It's Contradictory

Hi jb2362,

Unfortunately, I don't feel happy to do it, but I have to do. We're expecting improvements for "Avira In Product Messaging" in the next patch, so let's wait.
What I can say is that the ads should continue as it always happened, but hopefully without bugs.

Marco

I also like Avira. The new popups occur automatically, out of my control. I may be taking an online test and get interupted by a slider message. I am using antivirus software to avoid popup like that!. There HAVE always been popup adds. They did NOT popup intermittently while other important processes were running. I believe it can be labeled as rude to other software vendors. I have recommended Avira to MANY novice PC owners. I will wait for the next patch. 8)