You are not logged in.

Saturday, April 19th 2014, 6:20am

Dear visitor, welcome to Avira Support Forum. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "joanmae" started this thread

Date of registration:
Oct 27th 2007

Tuesday, March 20th 2012, 11:24pm

Updates and advertisements pop up constantly and our customers want to change from avira

We are having alot of complaints that advertisements and update messages are showing up constantly and sometimes they cannot get out of them without restarting computer. We have installed Avira free on several computers but customers want to change. Is the a correction to this problem. We configure updates to run on a certain day but that does not seem to make a difference.
Please advise as we do not want to change from Avira

Date of registration:
Mar 24th 2012

Version:
Avira Free Antivirus

Operating System:
xp

Saturday, March 24th 2012, 8:24am

We are having alot of complaints that advertisements and update messages are showing up constantly and sometimes they cannot get out of them without restarting computer. We have installed Avira free on several computers but customers want to change. Is the a correction to this problem. We configure updates to run on a certain day but that does not seem to make a difference.
Please advise as we do not want to change from Avira
;(

Hi. I am not a company, just a normal user. I have been using Avira for years but now I am thinking to choose something else because of the annoying "remind me later" that pops up every day when I start my computer. Is there a way to remove that? (this happens after installation of the new version)
Thank you,

Farger

Date of registration:
Jul 10th 2009

Version:
Avira Free Antivirus
Avira Ultimate Protection Suite
Avira Internet Security

Operating System:
Windows XP/ Windows 7

Sunday, March 25th 2012, 7:15pm

Hi,

In the past there was some problems with the pop-ups but now it is completely fixed, at least the slide ups can be closed without any problems, so verify that you or other customers are using the latest versions of Avira. Also, please read this: How can I turn off the Notifier, i.e. the ad in Avira Free Antivirus?
Scotty is currently on patrol

Date of registration:
Apr 29th 2010

Operating System:
Windows 7 x64bit SP1

Monday, March 26th 2012, 9:31pm

Hi,

In the past there was some problems with the pop-ups but now it is completely fixed, at least the slide ups can be closed without any problems, so verify that you or other customers are using the latest versions of Avira. Also, please read this: How can I turn off the Notifier, i.e. the ad in Avira Free Antivirus?

Have to say, this is most definitely not completely fixed. I had had none of these slide ups for months after the initial slide up ads with the new install of the Avira Free version 12 that caused complaints, but in the last week I am getting these multiple times a day, at least 3 to 4 times daily. I have my Avira Free set to update twice a day, once in the morning around 10 am local time and once in the evening around 11 pm local time, it is however updating 3 or 4 more times a day rather than twice a day and has been doing this for well over a week. Already today it has updated twice and it is only 3:15 pm. It updated at my scheduled time of 10 am and just now completed another one at 3:14 pm. The reports only show two updates daily, one at 10 am and one at 11 pm but the Events log show three to four updates daily. I am not complaining about the updates, though am surprised this additional update is now occurring but the slide up ads are happening again also. I am not complaining about the large notifier, that honestly has never bothered me but the slide up ads do. These are not the ones that say update has occurred and how many new files were added, these are slide up ads and only ads.

I am using version 12.0.0.898

Farger

Date of registration:
Jul 10th 2009

Version:
Avira Free Antivirus
Avira Ultimate Protection Suite
Avira Internet Security

Operating System:
Windows XP/ Windows 7

Monday, March 26th 2012, 11:03pm

Hi,

The "fixed" doesn't mean the absence of the ads or pop-ups but the problems with their closing.
Scotty is currently on patrol

akwe-xavante

Community member

Date of registration:
Feb 13th 2006

Monday, March 26th 2012, 11:07pm

Try this,

When you get the slide up bottom right, pause for a moment...........

You have the main body of the slide up message box then within that you may have many seperate messages.

close each individual message one at a time until they have all been removed.

Did this work.

Secondly, open Avira and click on "Update" then click on "Start Product Update"

Date of registration:
Apr 29th 2010

Operating System:
Windows 7 x64bit SP1

Monday, March 26th 2012, 11:23pm

There aren't multiple boxes, just one, with a picture of Avira Pro "label" I guess you would call it. They are wider than normal "update complete" slide ups. They have choice of Ok, Remind Me later, or of course the "x" out. Which is what I use, the problem with these is they cause all other activity on the computer to cease, if I am typing, I cannot type, if I am trying to open mail, it doesn't open until I can "x" out of that slide up ad. Sometimes it takes multiple "x"ing out for the slider to slide back down.

akwe-xavante

Community member

Date of registration:
Feb 13th 2006

Tuesday, March 27th 2012, 12:05am

Do you have the option to place a tick in a box against the words..............

"Do not show this message again"

"Remind Me later" wordage suggest you have something else to do

Remind you about what later?

akwe-xavante

Community member

Date of registration:
Feb 13th 2006

Tuesday, March 27th 2012, 12:09am

By placing a tick in the box and clicking OK you are acknowledging that you have read the message and at the same time requesting that you don't want to see the message again.

You will never stop all slide up messages and pop up adverts though unless you buy.

Date of registration:
Apr 29th 2010

Operating System:
Windows 7 x64bit SP1

Tuesday, March 27th 2012, 12:42am

Quoted

"Remind Me later" wordage suggest you have something else to do

Remind you about what later?
Remind me later to purchase is what is implied.

Quoted

By placing a tick in the box and clicking OK you are acknowledging that you have read the message and at the same time requesting that you don't want to see the message again.

You will never stop all slide up messages and pop up adverts though unless you buy.

No, the OK is next to purchase now, not that I have read the message.

I was only questioning why these are showing again is all, because they had been there when the program was first updated but they stopped.

akwe-xavante

Community member

Date of registration:
Feb 13th 2006

Tuesday, March 27th 2012, 8:32am

Hi,

It is always important at all times whilst using Avira or indeed any other application, program and even the Windows Operating System to read ALL messages displayed to you before deciding what to do with it!

Reading ALL messages gives you a clue as to what is happening or a suggestion as to to what to do next, then make your decision.

Never disregard any pop up message on screen without first reading it and understanding what the message is all about.

Have you downloaded and installed Avira's Trial Version rather than the Free version? The two are different, they are both free but the trial version will nag you even more than the free version.

Uninstall Avira and then download the free version not the trial version then install it

Date of registration:
Apr 29th 2010

Operating System:
Windows 7 x64bit SP1

Tuesday, March 27th 2012, 3:13pm

Hi,

It is always important at all times whilst using Avira or indeed any other application, program and even the Windows Operating System to read ALL messages displayed to you before deciding what to do with it!

Reading ALL messages gives you a clue as to what is happening or a suggestion as to to what to do next, then make your decision.

Never disregard any pop up message on screen without first reading it and understanding what the message is all about.

Have you downloaded and installed Avira's Trial Version rather than the Free version? The two are different, they are both free but the trial version will nag you even more than the free version.

Uninstall Avira and then download the free version not the trial version then install it

I honestly resent this reply. Do I read ALL messages displayed while using Avira ? Absolutely.

Do I read all messages even the Operating System messages before deciding what to do with them? Absolutely.

Have I EVER ignored a displayed message from Avira, the Operating System or any other program? NEVER.

Have I downloaded and installed a Trial Version of Avira? Absolutely NOT, NEVER.

I have used Avira Free for at least 6 years so I am a long time user of Avira Free, this is the second computer I own with it installed. I am VERY familiar with it. As noted by this thread I created here asking for proper install instructions, on October 6, 2011 at 11:34 A.M. I downloaded the newest version, Avira Free 2012 that day.

http://forum.avira.com/wbb/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=136687&highlight=

I received an immediate reply from marfabilis with the link for correct install of this new version and I followed those instructions to the letter. This copy of Avira Free 2012 was installed on this computer, Thursday, October 6, 2011 at 11:53 A.M. and I installed Avira Free 2012 on my other computer on Thursday October 6, 2011 at 2:39 P.M. So neither of these are Trial Versions, both are Full versions of Avira Free 2012. So unless somebody can show me that my copies of Avira Free 2012 are damaged, or not working correctly there is no reason to uninstall them, or download new copies and install them on either computer.

I have created 9 threads over the last two years with questions regarding Avira Free and Avira Free 2012. They have all been answered to my satisfaction. I have also responded 135 times on various threads containing questions by other users. I believe I supplied satisfactory replies to those questions by others also. So I am not a new user of Avira Free and Avira Free 2012 and I am a very experienced, knowledgeable computer user.

I merely posted here this time because these slide up ads are new and have been happening recently, not before. I am not referring to the large splash ad screen that has been a part of Avira Free for several years at least, these are slide up ads, these are not the traditional/usual slide up messages which tell you an update has happened and how many updated files were installed. Here is the latest slide up ad just received, this one does not have Ok on it but the others did.

This post has been edited 3 times, last edit by "notnats" (Mar 27th 2012, 3:22pm)

akwe-xavante

Community member

Date of registration:
Feb 13th 2006

Tuesday, March 27th 2012, 4:43pm

Oooops Sorry,

Didn't mean to upset you...

You did write the words "not that I have read the message"

Sorry

Date of registration:
Apr 29th 2010

Operating System:
Windows 7 x64bit SP1

Tuesday, March 27th 2012, 4:55pm

Oooops Sorry,

Didn't mean to upset you...

You did write the words "not that I have read the message"

Sorry

I did not say that I had not read the message, I was replying to your advice which said,

Quoted

and I said,

Quoted

OK is next to purchase now, not that I have read the message
it means "Ok purchase now", it is not an acknowledgement that I have read the message.
I did read the message and I did click Ok, once. Click OK and you are taken to a page to purchase and download the paid version. I don't want to do that.

akwe-xavante

Community member

Date of registration:
Feb 13th 2006

Tuesday, March 27th 2012, 4:57pm

Just trying my best to help

Date of registration:
Apr 29th 2010

Operating System:
Windows 7 x64bit SP1

Tuesday, March 27th 2012, 5:03pm

Just trying my best to help

I understand that, I really do. But you seemed to not read what I had written or assumed that I had not fully read these slide ups and sounded like you assumed I was using a trial version and then told me to uninstall the program and get a new copy. I never said the program was broken or not working, I merely commented in this thread, that isn't ours, that I was suddenly, in the last week, having what are definitely advertising slide ups, which I had never received before.

Date of registration:
Mar 24th 2012

Version:
Avira Free Antivirus

Operating System:
xp

Saturday, March 31st 2012, 3:01pm

So there is no solution to that annoying window unless I buy the program, do I get it right?
Well, then I will stop using Avira and try some other software - there is plenty of free antivirus programs on Internet. I stayed with Avira for so long because THEY DIDN'T ANNOY ME UNTIL NOW. But I guess this is wat they want now, right? To get customers that pay. Well, good luck then. But I am out.

Date of registration:
Apr 29th 2010

Operating System:
Windows 7 x64bit SP1

Saturday, March 31st 2012, 5:11pm

So there is no solution to that annoying window unless I buy the program, do I get it right?
Well, then I will stop using Avira and try some other software - there is plenty of free antivirus programs on Internet. I stayed with Avira for so long because THEY DIDN'T ANNOY ME UNTIL NOW. But I guess this is wat they want now, right? To get customers that pay. Well, good luck then. But I am out.

There ARE some other Free anti-virus programs available of course, but NONE of them rank as high as Avira Free on independent testing, and some of them are downright lousy.
I work malware/infection removal at several other forums and I can say, without a doubt, we rarely, IF EVER, see infections on computers running Avira Free but we do see them very often with computers running all of the other Free antivirus programs available. About the only time we see computers running Avira Free that are infected it is on computers where the users have multiple anti-virus program running and installed, which is the #1 No-No so Avira certainly would not be at fault there.

The slide ups do stop, they have for me anyway. Are they annoying? Yes at times they are. But are they worth it in order to use the absolute best Free Av program available...in my book anyway, yes they are.

And NO I do not work for the company I am just a long time user and will continue to do so and continue to strongly recommend it's use on all the forums where I help out.

Date of registration:
Mar 24th 2012

Version:
Avira Free Antivirus

Operating System:
xp

Saturday, March 31st 2012, 5:28pm

The slide ups do stop, they have for me anyway. Are they annoying? Yes at times they are. But are they worth it in order to use the absolute best Free Av program available...in my book anyway, yes they are.

No, they didn't stop and NO they are not worth.

I also am a long time user.I have a computer since they were running on tapes. One rule for me, learned in time: life is too short to be annoyed by any software on this planet. And not to forget that every day more and more people create things (software) - there is plenty to choose from.
I chose another one and I will see how it works. Hopefully well.
All the best.

Date of registration:
Apr 15th 2012

Version:
Avira Free Antivirus

Operating System:
Windows XP SP 3

Sunday, April 15th 2012, 2:48pm

Dirty Trick

First of all, Avira is the best anti-virus I have used (and I've tried many): It detects and resolves problems that others do not. So ... those of you who are thinking of changing to another ... think again. That being said: The previous version did not have the pop-ups. I was getting a message (once per day) that said I should upgrade to the latest version. There was no mention that I would be constantly nagged all day long ... a dirty trick! Once again, that being said, I would probably pay the small fee rather than change or continue to bothered by the pop-ups. However, I do sympathize with all of the issues raised above. If a product is FREE ... it should be just that ... FREE ... not free with a gotcha.