You are not logged in.

Wednesday, August 20th 2014, 10:45am

The Avira Forum will be moved to the new platform Avira Answers soon. We'll make the transition of existing user profiles and threads as smooth as possible.
New visitors are able to log in on Avira Answers with the existing Avira account directly or sign up with a new account.

• "patchouly" started this thread

Date of registration:
Sep 6th 2012

Version:
Avira Free Antivirus

Operating System:
Windows 7

Thursday, September 6th 2012, 4:27am

"This program is blocked by group policy"

Not sure what happened. I noticed that Avira wasn't running so I tried to start it from the Start menu. I got the error message "this program is blocked by group policy". So I tried to uninstall and got the same message. Finally, I restarted into safe mode and it started up. I ran a scan it it came back fine. Then, I uninstalled it and restarted back into normal mode. When I tried to install a fresh copy, it gives me the same error "this program is blocked by group policy".

Not sure what's going on. Any help with this one would be appreciated!

Date of registration:
Sep 6th 2012

Version:
Avira Free Antivirus

Operating System:
Windows 7

Thursday, September 6th 2012, 5:44pm

Update:

I went into the Local Security Policies/Software Restriction Policies/Additional Rules and found Avira listed in their, so I removed it (I have no idea how it got there). The program now starts up but the services won't start and the update won't run (it says "The following error occurred: Access denied"). I've tried uninstalling and running the Avira Software reg cleaner, then reinstalling, but nothing seems to work.

Any help on this guys?

Date of registration:
Sep 6th 2012

Version:
Avira Free Antivirus

Operating System:
Windows 7

Friday, September 7th 2012, 7:53pm

Solved!

Ok. Sorry to see there was no help from the forum, but hopefully I can still help others.

Once I removed the disabled note in the group policy section, I was able to reinstall. I noted that it showed a message stating it was not compatible with a program called "PC Cleaner Pro". I've never heard of the program and certainly didn't install it. I had a look through but couldn't find it on my system.

After a Google search, I found removal instructions to delete registry entries for "PC Cleaner Pro". I deleted the recommended entries and low and behold, Avira installed and booted right up. Everything seems to be running fine now.

I'm not sure where "PC Cleaner Pro" came from, but it was the cause of the issues.

Date of registration:
Feb 15th 2012

Version:
Avira Free Antivirus

Operating System:
Vista 64bit SP2

Saturday, September 8th 2012, 12:11am

Time to run Malwarebyte Anti-Malware to find out what else may be hiding on your system.

Date of registration:
Sep 6th 2012

Version:
Avira Free Antivirus

Operating System:
Windows 7

Sunday, September 9th 2012, 5:15am

I've actually run it and Spybot; both came up clean. Problem is someone just sent me an email saying they got a spam email from me...

Date of registration:
Sep 6th 2012

Version:
Avira Free Antivirus

Operating System:
Windows 7

Sunday, September 9th 2012, 5:02pm

Is it possible for Avira, Spybot and Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware to all say my system is clean, when there is still a virus on it?