You are not logged in.

Friday, August 1st 2014, 11:47am

The Avira Forum will be moved to the new platform Avira Answers soon. We'll make the transition of existing user profiles and threads as smooth as possible.
New visitors are able to log in on Avira Answers with the existing Avira account directly or sign up with a new account.

• "davecabezo" started this thread

Date of registration:
Jan 7th 2011

Version:
Avira Free Antivirus

Operating System:
XP Pro

Saturday, February 2nd 2013, 12:39pm

Avira causes 100% CPU

Hi,

Avira Free causes the CPU to go into overdrive after about 4 hours sitting in the taskbar. I found out by using Windows Task manager. I couldn't shut down Avira as it said "Access denied". This message popped up when I tried to kill the program with the Task Manager and also when I tried to close the program manually.

Any Ideas before I uninstall Avira.

Regards,

Dave

avon

Community member

Date of registration:
Apr 15th 2008

Version:
Avira Antivirus Suite

Operating System:
Windows 8.1U1 Pro 32-bit Windows XP Home SP3 32-bit

Saturday, February 2nd 2013, 1:07pm

From "Help" file:

Quoted

Help Center > Configuration > General > Security

Protect processes from unwanted termination

If this option is enabled, all processes of the program are protected against unwanted termination by viruses and malware or against 'uncontrolled' termination by a user, e.g. via Task-Manager. This option is enabled as the default setting.

Advanced process protection
If this option is enabled, all processes of the program are protected with advanced options against unwanted termination. Advanced process protection requires considerably more computer resources than simple process protection. The option is enabled as the default setting. To disable this option, you have to restart your computer.

• "davecabezo" started this thread

Date of registration:
Jan 7th 2011

Version:
Avira Free Antivirus

Operating System:
XP Pro

Saturday, February 2nd 2013, 1:47pm

OK but do you know why Avira suddenly uses 100% CPU??? I've also noticed that Avira stalls when it scans what ius an ordinary .txt file!