You are not logged in.

Tuesday, September 2nd 2014, 11:07am

The Avira Forum will be moved to the new platform Avira Answers soon. We'll make the transition of existing user profiles and threads as smooth as possible.
New visitors are able to log in on Avira Answers with the existing Avira account directly or sign up with a new account.

• "hjsal" started this thread

Date of registration:
Apr 1st 2013

Version:
Avira Free Antivirus

Operating System:
Windows XP

Saturday, May 11th 2013, 11:09pm

Avira Toolbar

Is there a way to remove the Avira Toolbar and still keep my computer secure? Thanks.

Barrie

Community member

Date of registration:
Jan 31st 2006

Version:
none

Operating System:
Mac OS X 10.8.3

Sunday, May 12th 2013, 12:21am

Hi,

Try this open Add or Remove Programs by clicking Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click Add or Remove Programs.

Once you are in the programs list, search for Avira SearchFree Toolbar and Avira SearchFree Toolbar Updater and select remove or uninstall.

Barrie
Cordialement - Grüße and Regards.

[Avira Tech Blog - Avira VL Virusscan.jotti -HijackThis - - Avira tools - Online shop - Avira safe mode scan
Sorry NO support via PM > Kein Support über PN > Aucun support par message privé.

redwolfe_98

Community member

Date of registration:
Nov 14th 2006

Version:
Avira Antivirus Premium

Operating System:
Win XPsp3

Sunday, May 12th 2013, 4:43pm

according to the avira-free user-manual, you have to have the toolbar installed in order to be able to use the avira program's "web-protection".. you can opt to uninstall the toolbar, in which case you will not be able to take advantage of the avira program's "web-protection"..

with the toolbar uninstalled, the avira program's "realtime-protection" will still function, so you will be protected in that way.. you just won't be able to take advantage of the "web-protection", which is seperate from the "realtime-protection"..

the "realtime-protection" scans files as they are being written to the disk or when they are being launched.. in contrast, the "web-protection" scans files as they are being downloaded from the internet, before the files are "written to disk"..

supposedly, the realtime-protection would scan the same files that the web-protection would scan.. they would be scanned by the web-protection first, then allowed to be "written to disk", when they would be scanned by the realtime-protection.. so, some people argue that there is no real benefit in using the "web-protection" since the files are scanned by the "realtime-protection" anyway.. however, i prefer to use the "web-protection".. for one thing, it is a lot simpler to deal with items that are flagged by the web-protection than it is when items are flagged by the realtime-protection..

additionally, i like using the "web-protection" because it allows me to use its "blocked requests" feature to block various types of files from being downloaded, which, i believe, greatly enhances my computer's security.. i don't think that most people use the "blocked requests" feature the way that i do, but i do.. actually, the "blocked requests" feature is one of the main reasons that i stick with using the avira program.. i am not aware of any other av-program's that have a similar feature, allowing one to block various types of files from being downloaded..

additionally, the web-protection blocks access to some malicious websites, but i question how good it is at doing that.. it will block access to some malicious websites, which have malicious content, but i don't think that it is nearly as good at blocking malicious websites as some of the other av-programs are.. i think avira needs to improve their blocking of malicious websites, as well as being more careful to not block websites that shouldn't be blocked..
win xpsp3, "windows firewall", avira 14 premium, SSM, RegDefend

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "redwolfe_98" (May 12th 2013, 4:48pm)