You are not logged in.

Wednesday, July 23rd 2014, 9:48am

Dear visitor, welcome to Avira Support Forum. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Cumbrowski

Community member

• "Cumbrowski" started this thread

Date of registration:
Feb 10th 2008

Operating System:
Windows XP Tablet, Windows XP Pro SP3

Thursday, May 29th 2008, 2:59pm

How to use Avira Premium Security Suite License for Avira AntiVir Personal Upgrade?

Hi,

I got a "Avira Premium Security Suite" License for one year and a Key file "HBEDV.KEY". The license is supposed to be good for three computers. I have three computers. I still have Avira AntiVir Personal edition running on one machine and would like to use my license to get updates and to remove the annoying popups.

I don't want to install the whole Premium Suite, because I installed it once and I could not access anything afterwards (separate issue).
How do I do that?

I don't want a refund for my voluntary downgrade, I just want to know how to use my better license for the smaller product package.

Thanks
Carsten Cumbrowski
Work: http://www.cumbrowski.com/
Home: http://www.roysac.com/

Barrie

Community member

Date of registration:
Jan 31st 2006

Version:
none

Operating System:
Mac OS X 10.8.3

Thursday, May 29th 2008, 3:47pm

Hi Carsten,

Quoted

Original by Cumbrowski
I don't want to install the whole Premium Suite, because I installed it once and I could not access anything afterwards (separate issue).
How do I do that?

First download the latest APSS installer kit from here, once done fully uninstall your Antivir Free version.

Clean the registry and reboot then install APSS but choose custom, now check the boxes next to the following,
1. Antivir Guard.
2. Rootkit detection.
3. Shell extension.

Make sure that the following modules are unchecked,
1. MailGuard.
2. Firewall.
3. Backup.
4. WebGuard.

Now proceed with the installation and insert your HBEDV.KEY when asked.

Regards
Barrie
Cordialement - Grüße and Regards.

[Avira Tech Blog - Avira VL Virusscan.jotti -HijackThis - - Avira tools - Online shop - Avira safe mode scan
Sorry NO support via PM > Kein Support über PN > Aucun support par message privé.

• "Radu Gheorghe" has been banned

Date of registration:
May 22nd 2006

Operating System:
Windows

Thursday, May 29th 2008, 3:50pm

Hello,

You can't use your license on AntiVir Personal to remove the Notifier. Instead, you can uninstall AntiVir Personal and install only the components of Avira Premium Security Suite that you need. To do this you should choose 'Custom' installation instead of 'Complete'. Then you can untick the firewall, MailGuard and WebGuard.

Best regards,
Radu Gheorghe
Avira Operations GmbH & Co. KG

Cumbrowski

Community member

Date of registration:
Feb 10th 2008

Operating System:

Saturday, May 31st 2008, 1:10am

That worked, thanks.

I had to reboot three times though what kind of sucks.

Uninstall Personal - Reboot
Install Premium - Reboot
Update Premium - Reboot

I suggest to consider the option to unlock the personal edition to disable the ads and enable the automated updates again via a provided Pro or Premium Suite Key. You could also make it a special key that license owners of the the paid products can get via the website once it was determined what type of license they have. That means that you know about who unlocked the personal edition and who did just installed the Pro or Premium package.

Alternative.

Provide and upgrade package that I can install over the personal edition without requiring the uninstall and the reboots (even if you replace it almost entirely with the upgrade package). If you have to, require only one reboot after the upgrade installation and that's it.

Cheers!
Carsten Cumbrowski

Barrie

Community member

Date of registration:
Jan 31st 2006

Version:
none

Operating System:
Mac OS X 10.8.3

Saturday, May 31st 2008, 8:18pm

Hi Carsten,

I am pleased to hear this has worked and all is running as you need it to, regarding suggestions about Antivir produces just add your thoughts to this thread. ;)

Regards
Barrie

[Avira Tech Blog - Avira VL Virusscan.jotti -HijackThis - - Avira tools - Online shop - Avira safe mode scan
Sorry NO support via PM > Kein Support über PN > Aucun support par message privé.

Cumbrowski

Community member

Date of registration:
Feb 10th 2008

Operating System:

Sunday, June 1st 2008, 1:00am

Hi Carsten,
regarding suggestions about Antivir produces just add your thoughts to this thread. ;)

I tried to, but I have no permission to post to that thread. No reply buttons to be found.

I posted in the past already some recommendations to your product and hope that they will be noted regardless if they were posted to that thread or not. If you use it to consolidate all the request, feel free to grap my post and add it to the recommendation thread yourself. Add a link to the original thread as reference to help your guys to understand the request/suggestion or recommendation better, which is sometimes not clear, if taken out of context.

Cheers!
Carsten Cumbrowski

Barrie

Community member

Date of registration:
Jan 31st 2006

Version:
none

Operating System:
Mac OS X 10.8.3

Sunday, June 1st 2008, 1:49am

Hi Carsten,

Regards to adding your suggestions to the thread I linked you to, you need to apply for trusted membership, have a look here.

Regards
Barrie

Cumbrowski

Community member

Date of registration:
Feb 10th 2008

Operating System:

Sunday, June 1st 2008, 2:40am

Hi Carsten,

Regards to adding your suggestions to the thread I linked you to, you need to apply for trusted membership, have a look here.

Regards
Barrie

Quoted

The option to apply for the trusted members status has been activated.

Where, what, how, who?

Quoted

Please note that in the next one - two months we will not activate any new members. Matthias Beck
Avira GmbH

Oh, then not?!

Quoted

Es werden keine Supportanfragen per PN beantwortet. Bitte nutzen Sie den ihrem Produkt entsprechenden Bereich im Forum

Lucky for me that I speak German. "no PM .. use the section appropriate for my product at the forums." ... for what, the trusted membership?

Update! I just noticed that my membership level changed from blue to silver. It was still blue when I wrote the response. So you do not have to respond to the comments above. However, the comments below are still valid.

Update 2! Okay, the membership level change was probably because of my number of posts and not because you changed it. I still don't have permission to post, so I have to retract what I said in my previous update (reverting back to my original comment).

It does actually not matter really. I just wanted to make a point. Now I have another suggestion for your team (again outside the forum for suggestions, but it is not product related, so it might be okay not to post it there :)

If somebody makes a suggestion, appreciate it, regardless where he made it, in an email, contact form, phone call or forum post or blog comment. Then say thank you for the time the user sacrificed for you to make the suggestion (something he does not have to do) and work out internally how to consolidate and aggregate those recommendations and suggestions. Don't make people jump through hoops that want to help you (without being paid to do so).

I would mention this to your colleagues and manager and see what they think about it.

p.s. This is something I have some years professional experience with myself. So see it as a tip from one professional to another.

Cheers!
Carsten Cumbrowski

This post has been edited 4 times, last edit by "Cumbrowski" (Jun 1st 2008, 2:46am)

Date of registration:
Feb 18th 2006

Operating System:
XP SP3, Vista SP1, Kubuntu 9.04 and a heavily modified puppy on a stick!

Sunday, June 1st 2008, 5:13am

Hello Carsten,

I just want to explain a little about Avira's products and Windows.

The Premium isn't an "upgrade" to the Personal - Free (formerly Classic), but an entirely different software that uses some of the same technology.

It's necessary to remove one antivirus solution before installing another, in accordance with accepted best practice. The call for rebooting is necessary because of the way Windows works, and there's nothing Avira can do about that. So it's something that has to be expected when uninstalling one software, and installing another. The reason you had to reboot a further time on updating, is because of changes made to the product components, that will eventually be made to the installation file itself. This was just a case of unlucky timing with you installing at this time, but it's better that these updates are made available as quickly as they are released, to ensure the software is running with the latest improvements, even though a reboot is necessary.

You can apply for Trusted Membership from your profile page, under the "Usergroups" tab.

Cheers,

Steve

Cumbrowski

Community member

Date of registration:
Feb 10th 2008

Operating System:

Sunday, June 1st 2008, 8:20am

Hello Carsten,

I just want to explain a little about Avira's products and Windows.

The Premium isn't an "upgrade" to the Personal - Free (formerly Classic), but an entirely different software that uses some of the same technology.

It's necessary to remove one antivirus solution before installing another, in accordance with accepted best practice.

Hi Steve, thanks for tuning in (on a Saturday :) ). I am aware that the Premium Suite has more components than the Personal Edition. Especially the firewall component, which is probably also the one that makes the need for a reboot necessary the most.
That's why did I suggest to make it easier to use the license keys. One license is good for three computers and the needs of each primary user of the computer might be different. Also the use and location of the machine, e.g. Dads PC in a home network with broadband connection and a Laptop for the road that is used in a domain at work and in the home office at home and public WiFi and hotels if he is on a business trip and the third machine is Grandmas stand alone PC with dial-up next door.

If Dad buys the Premium Suite, then the license should be good for the Personal (without ads, that is the Pro I believe) and the Premium Antivirus. So Grandma can use the Pro antivirus and the PC at home the Premium (or the other way around) and dad takes the premium suite on the road with his laptop without the protection of a physical firewall (your firewall is not intuitive at all and I would not recommend it to the average user).

If you use one licenseing engine, that should safe you time and money too, because you only have one instead of three or four for each group of products that you offer..

The call for rebooting is necessary because of the way Windows works, and there's nothing Avira can do about that. So it's something that has to be expected when uninstalling one software, and installing another. The reason you had to reboot a further time on updating, is because of changes made to the product components, that will eventually be made to the installation file itself. This was just a case of unlucky timing with you installing at this time, but it's better that these updates are made available as quickly as they are released, to ensure the software is running with the latest improvements, even though a reboot is necessary.

One reboot itself is not a big deal, but I find it very annoying if software vendors don't even try to keep the need for a reboot to the absolute minimum. Microsoft also tries to reduce it more and more. Windows XP is not like Windows 95 that you had to reboot for the smallest of changes to the system.

A reinstall also tends to have other side effects that have the potential to become a problem. That has actually a lot to do with what MS is doing or not doing (right). That happened to me actually yesterday. It has to do with multimedia and codecs, but I will not go into the details about that with you, because it would not help anybody.

I am currently doing some changes to one of my computers and had to reinstall it. It took me 3 !!! days, without the fine tuning. A lot of that time was sent on reboots, often multiple times for the same software. My second computer got a new motherboard and has since then an IRQ conflict with the DVD-RW drive. When I called the vendor, he said that I should install a fresh OS on the machine which might (or might not) solve the problem. Okay, it's my second machine, but it is also my backup, hence having almost all the same tools installed as my primary computer. I have work to do on a computer and cannot just spend a few days reinstalling a computer to kill some time.

In the middle of this came the small issue with your software so you got now a bit more of the heat than you actually deserve. :) However, I want you make aware of those things that happen in the real world that you can make things easier for your customers and for yourself too. I hope this makes sense.

You can apply for Trusted Membership from your profile page, under the "Usergroups" tab.

Cheers,

Steve

Thanks for the info. I will check it out.

Cheers!
Carsten Cumbrowski