You are not logged in.

Friday, July 25th 2014, 10:57am

The Avira Forum will be moved to the new platform Avira Answers soon. We'll make the transition of existing user profiles and threads as smooth as possible.
New visitors are able to log in on Avira Answers with the existing Avira account directly or sign up with a new account.

NiteHawk

Community member

• "NiteHawk" started this thread

Date of registration:
Feb 14th 2006

Operating System:
XP Pro SP3, Windows 7 Pro - Ubuntu 10.04 LTS

Wednesday, September 17th 2008, 5:27pm

New features suggestions - Avira Tools, Rescue System/CD

I'm starting a "feature suggestions" thread specifically for this forum section (Avira Tools). I guess most will focus on Avira's AntiVir Rescue System ('Live' CD), but feel free to post your improvements for other tools, too (AntiVir Removal tool, Bootsector repair, ...). Please note that some of the available programs are outdated / deprecated, and no longer supported by Avira (e.g. Unerase Personal, NTFS4DOS). Don't post suggestions for AntiVir products here; instead use their respective forum areas, please.

Regards, NiteHawk
___

Important Notice
If you wish to contribute to this thread, but don't have "Trusted Member" status and therefore cannot reply, please start a new thread with the suggestion, and send a PM to a moderator so that it can be moved to this thread.

Thanks.

NiteHawk

Community member

Date of registration:
Feb 14th 2006

Operating System:

Wednesday, September 17th 2008, 5:28pm

Okay, here we go... :)
These are my suggestions for the Rescue System / CD:
  • Support 'switches' or boot options for rescue CD (kernel command line parameters, similar to what Knoppix does with its "cheatcodes").
    I would like to see
    - FAILSAFE, to load a 'bare minimum' of drivers required to run the rescue system. Alternatively, an option not to load specific module(s) could be used. The idea is to have a way of avoiding 'critical' modules that caused crashes or hangs upon start on certain hardware / configurations in the past.
    - READONLY, which tells the rescue system to mount all filesystems read-only. This might be a safeguard for RAID configurations not supported / recognized (to prevent against accidental corruption of RAID integrity / data).

• Re-think busybox restrictions and splitting functionality across busybox and busybox2
    I mean, no pager support ("less"/"more")? Come on... :rolleyes:

• Make kernel configuration available
    It would be nice to set CONFIG_IKCONFIG=y and CONFIG_IKCONFIG_PROC=y when configuring / building the rescue system kernel. If the kernel configuration is available (zcat /proc/config.gz), this would facilitate creating customized versions, e.g. to support very new / 'exotic' hardware (see http://forum.avira.com/wbb/index.php?pag…0430#post670430) [Yes, this one firmly belongs in the 'pro' category... :P]

• Integrate more (hardware- / disk- / rescue-oriented) tools
    Some that come to mind: smartmontools, ntfsprogs, testdisk. If networking (and remote filesystems) will be available one day, maybe dd[_]rescue and partimage would be neat...

• RAID support. Currently both device mapper "fakeRAID" (dmraid) and Linux Software RAID (mdadm) are unavailable. (See http://forum.avira.com/wbb/index.php?pag…9569#post669569)

• Network support
    - Updating via internet (see http://forum.avira.com/wbb/index.php?pag…5393#post675393)
    - The ability to copy files / rescue data over the network
    a) either run a small SSH/SCP/SFTP server (dropbear) on the rescue system, and connect to it from remote with appropriate tools, or
    b) alternatively support SMB/CIFS mounts from within the rescue system, to make remote storage available for copying

Regards, NiteHawk

NiteHawk

Community member

Date of registration:
Feb 14th 2006

Operating System:

Tuesday, November 4th 2008, 2:53pm

It would be nice to write / have a tutorial that explains how to setup the Rescue System

- a) to boot from a USB pen drive (using SYSLINUX)

- b) to integrate it into existing boot configurations e.g. a separate Partition oder external HDD (using GRUB)

To facilitate keeping such installation up-to-date, the boot process could be extended: if rescue_update.zip exists in the same place as the initrd(.gz) file, it should be detected and the update applied 'automagically'...

Regards, NiteHawk

NiteHawk

Community member

Date of registration:
Feb 14th 2006

Operating System:

Saturday, November 15th 2008, 10:47am

For systems with only small amounts of memory (RAM) it might be helpful if the Rescue System was able to detect and use existing Linux swap partitions (type 82h).

Regards, NiteHawk

kevin009

Community member

Date of registration:
Aug 9th 2007

Operating System:
Windows 7

Tuesday, November 25th 2008, 12:46pm

Hello,
First of all, my question is : Is there a .pdf help file with detailed instructions (including) screenshots (I mean screen photographs) taken with a digital camera ? Because I'm still a novice with the Avira RescueCD and was totally puzzled. It's also hard to go back, because we have to reboot the system and start from scratch. :( Happened to me many times.

If there is no such Help File (Documentation) as I described above, would Avira mind providing it?

My suggestions for Rescue CD : Since I noticed that if we need to update the RescueCD, we have to download a fresh latest one (40 MB) and burn it? Downloading 40 MB is a pain in the neck! So if the RescueCD actually incorporates the normal signature files in the same format used by AntiVir (like antivir0.vdf etc, then there might be an alternative option to download these signature and .vdf files (via the online updater) and place them in a folder along with the other RescueCD files and then use the Avira burning software (used in the .exe versions, not the .iso version) to burn them into a CD.

P.S : Don't know why there is a big scarcity of ideas for Rescue CD :S NiteHawk seems to be the only person around here with innovative ideas for the RescueCD.

cdavfrew

Community member

Date of registration:
Mar 3rd 2008

Operating System:
Windows XP Home Edition SP3

Wednesday, December 3rd 2008, 3:01pm

Avira most definitely needs an online scanner; this makes it easier to remove malware on infected systems remotely.

My ideas for Antivir RescueCD

1. A recovery console should be implemented in the rescue cd, so that users can repair an infected boot.ini.
2. For the CD to be able to use updated definition files on the hard disk, such as C:\Program Files\Avira RescueCD\antivir.vdf.gz, so that even an outdated rescue cd can be used if the updated definition file is placed on the hard disk.
3. A command for users to delete files that they cannot in Windows, so that difficult infected files can be deleted with the rescue cd, even if they are not detected by Antivir yet.

Best Regards :D
Virustotal Hijack This AV-Comparatives
Using Antivir Free, Filseclab Firewall, Spyware Blaster, Spybot S&D, Malwarebytes, SUPERAntispyware Pro, SnoopFree Privacy Shield, GMER Anti-Rootkit, A-Squared Free, Comodo Firewall, and Avdanced Spyware Remover :D

• "Radu Gheorghe" has been banned

Date of registration:
May 22nd 2006

Operating System:
Windows

Wednesday, December 3rd 2008, 3:51pm

Hi cdavfrew,

Thanks for posting your ideas here. For suggestions 1) and 3), you can normally do that because Rescue System mounts all drives that it recognizes, so you should be able to edit the boot.ini file, and delete or rename any file on the hard disk. Of course it would help if this process will be made easier, but I just wanted to tell you that these features are already available somehow.
Radu Gheorghe
Avira Operations GmbH & Co. KG

cdavfrew

Community member

Date of registration:
Mar 3rd 2008

Operating System:
Windows XP Home Edition SP3

Thursday, December 4th 2008, 4:46am

Hey Radu

Oh... okay . Thanks for that. I haven't used the rescue cd extensively, so I must have missed that option. But again, thanks!

Best Regards :D
Virustotal Hijack This AV-Comparatives
Using Antivir Free, Filseclab Firewall, Spyware Blaster, Spybot S&D, Malwarebytes, SUPERAntispyware Pro, SnoopFree Privacy Shield, GMER Anti-Rootkit, A-Squared Free, Comodo Firewall, and Avdanced Spyware Remover :D

NiteHawk

Community member

Date of registration:
Feb 14th 2006

Operating System:

Saturday, December 13th 2008, 7:06pm

geoffcg has some suggestions, too - please see his comments and observations regarding the new version (v3.5.5) in this thread: Rescue Disk Update Feature

- The Rescue CD should have a more prominent and/or intuive language selection. Selecting the desired language early during the startup process might help (non-german) users to diagnose problems, e.g. in case module loading or mounting drives/partitions get stuck. (A separate language selection screen might also help sight-impaired users.)

- The new graphical configuration dialog could be improved: "Directory" and "Search path" are not very self-explanatory - maybe "Scan target" and "Path to search" would be better.

Please refer to Geoff's original posting for more details and other suggestions.

Regards, NiteHawk

Icecube2

Community member

Date of registration:
Dec 24th 2008

Operating System:
Ubuntu

Wednesday, December 24th 2008, 11:48pm

Rescue CD: Feature requests

Set the default language to English instead of Deutsch.

Add keyboard layouts for other languages. Now it is very difficult to run some commands from the terminal if you don't know the qwertz keyboard layout. e.g.: I didn't find the key for typing "|".
Setting the keyboard layout as parameter at boot time (isolinux) would be nice too.

Add a parameter defdir= (definition directory) to the isolinux.cfg t o specify the another path than /antivir/ for the definition files.

Adding booting from USB sticks with syslinux would be appreciated (did work when the rescue.iso file only needed the kernel and the initrd). I didn't test it yet with the new version.

Update isolinux: Version 3.10 is very old (year 2005).
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/boot/syslinux/
You can use colors in the welcome message (see syslinux documentation) to make it more appealing.

A new version of busybox is available:
http://www.busybox.net/

Place the following files in the /isolinux folder:

Source code

boot.cat (adapt the mkisofs command for this also)
initrd.gz
isolinux.bin (adapt the mkisofs command for this also)
isolinux.cfg
vmlinuz
welcome.msg

Move the license.txt to the /licenses/ folder.

Remove the index.html file from root (it just loads html/index_en.html):
Edit autorun.ini to:

Source code

[AutoRun]
ShellExecute=html\index_en.html
icon=avira.ico

The avira.ico maybe should go to a subdirectory to (edit the autorun.ini accordingly).

The reason why I ask for the movement of some file is, that it would look cleaner, which is important when you put it on a USB stick.
Most people want to put other files on it together with this rescue disk and don't want much other files and directories.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Icecube2" (Dec 25th 2008, 12:16am)

Date of registration:
Jul 5th 2008

Tuesday, December 30th 2008, 10:09pm

Skip large files

If you have large files (over 300 MB) on hard-disk, using Avira rescue disk, scanning takes a very LONG time to complete (I have a Core 2 Duo @ 2,2 GHz, 3 GB RAM).
During the scan of a large file, scan duration time doesn't increment, the process looks like it's frozen (but in reality it isn't).

It would be very nice to have an checkbox option to skip files with size over a specified value (default to 100 MB, for example).

akwe-xavante

Community member

Date of registration:
Feb 13th 2006

Thursday, January 8th 2009, 10:57pm

Can we have more options on the very first screen displayed please.

An option to go directly to the command line.

A choice of the old / original interface or the new.

Or an option for additional options to be displayed on a second screen when selected.

The ability to do an online update (i know your working on this one).

An option to save a report preferably to the root of the first active partition (Drive C:) not a floppy though because many computers come without them now.

A GUI to browse the mounted drives! with the ability to read and write, add and delete files and directories etc perhaps from the RescueCD or an additional disc inserted and mounted when the RescueCD is not needed anymore.

This one won't happen but here goes, when starting the process of burning the image to a disc add an option for advanced users where you could ask for:

An online update before the disc is burn't so that updates can be added to the compilation before burning.

An option to add additional tools / bash scripts etc to the disc again before burning with root permissions of course.

akwe-xavante

Community member

Date of registration:
Feb 13th 2006

Friday, January 9th 2009, 10:58am

Can we please have an option to go directly to the command Line on the very first screen that displays, where we get the options to boot up from the hard drive or the rescueCD or at least an option to select that will give us a second set of advanced options that allows advanced users additional features that you could add to as you continue to develope this CD.

Icecube2

Community member

Date of registration:
Dec 24th 2008

Operating System:
Ubuntu

Wednesday, January 28th 2009, 4:16pm

@Radu Gheorghe
Can't you say to the developers to update isolinux to the last version. I don't see the point of using a very old version (24-Aug-2005) when much newer versions are out, that have workarounds for many BIOSes.

Version 3.73 is out since a few days.
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/boot/syslinux/

Barrie

Community member

Date of registration:
Jan 31st 2006

Version:
none

Operating System:
Mac OS X 10.8.3

Monday, February 9th 2009, 11:12pm

It would be nice to have a print scan log box on the main screen as well as the save box. 8o

Regards
Barrie
Cordialement - Grüße and Regards.

[Avira Tech Blog - Avira VL Virusscan.jotti -HijackThis - - Avira tools - Online shop - Avira safe mode scan
Sorry NO support via PM > Kein Support über PN > Aucun support par message privé.

pcab50

Community member

Date of registration:
Jun 18th 2009

Operating System:
Windows XP

Thursday, July 2nd 2009, 2:56pm

First of all thanks for putting mc onto the CD! This really makes life much easier.
My wishes for the next release:
- A switch in the graphical virus scanner to not scan subdirectories for selectively scanning c:\windows e.g. (saves a lot of time especially on Vista)
- A switch to move infected files to a quarantine folder or at least rename them - the command line version can do this already

Date of registration:
Nov 30th 2009

Monday, November 30th 2009, 9:26pm

Rescue CD - manual VDF update?

Avira Personal allows you to do a manual update from a previously downloaded VDF file.

Can this facility be added the Rescue CD?

Date of registration:
Apr 17th 2010

Version:
none

Saturday, April 17th 2010, 2:08am

REQUEST for Avira Rescue CD Programmers (!)

Your Rescue CD produces output like this:

checking the master boot record of drive 128
checking the master boot record of drive 129

This output is meaningless without descriptions of what each drive number is. Some BIOSes enumerate drives in any order they please and when an error like "error (2) cannot read record" appears after the CD has merely cited a BIOS/Linux drive number, it's IMPOSSIBLE to tell which drive is at fault. PLEASE modify your software so it instead gives output like this:

checking the master boot record of drive (128, SATA, 80123.5 GB, model IC25N080ATMR04-0)
checking the master boot record of drive (129, PATA, 6123.8 GB, model ST2591839982)
checking the master boot record of drive (130, ATAPI, 700.0 MB, model L583134)

...etc.

So people will AT LEAST know which drive is which!

bmui

Community member

Date of registration:
May 3rd 2010

Saturday, August 28th 2010, 6:14am

When we use Avira Rescue Cd.

At least the cd should let us know what it means and what we should do when when see Linux mascot ?

There no explaination what to do ?

Does it mean we have a virus in our computer or what ?

Switch off power button of the computer and re-boot it ?

No advice ?

Thanks.

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "bmui" (Aug 28th 2010, 6:16am)

Date of registration:
May 22nd 2006

Operating System:
XP

Monday, August 30th 2010, 3:40pm

Hi,
The Linux mascot doesn't bite or do any harmful thing. It is just a symbol.
Nicolae Moldoveanu
Avira Operations GmbH & Co. KG

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Nicolae Moldoveanu" (Sep 9th 2010, 11:07am)