You are not logged in.

Friday, August 29th 2014, 4:02pm

The Avira Forum will be moved to the new platform Avira Answers soon. We'll make the transition of existing user profiles and threads as smooth as possible.
New visitors are able to log in on Avira Answers with the existing Avira account directly or sign up with a new account.

• "User_973" started this thread

Date of registration:
Dec 12th 2008

Operating System:
Windows 7 RC 64-bit

Friday, December 12th 2008, 2:07pm

Problem with Firewall

Hi,

I just recently upgraded to Premium Security Suite, mostly because of the firewall. However, I'm having problems with certain applications.

This far, I have discovered two programs that can't connect to internet because of Avira Firewall. The firewall doesn't ask whether the application should be permitted access to connect, nor is the application in the programs list of Avira Firewall. When I disable Avira firewall, the programs can connect just fine. The programs are GTA IV (Games for Windows Live, specifically) and Cobian Backup.

Every time I want to use these programs (which is often), I have to disable Avira Firewall and enable Windows Firewall.

As you can probably understand, I'm not happy with this situation at all. I hope someone knows how to help! Thanks!

Date of registration:
May 22nd 2006

Operating System:
XP

Friday, December 12th 2008, 3:54pm

Hi,
This is strange. First, please check your deny rules. Then, please manually allow processes from GTA and Cobian Backup.
Nicolae Moldoveanu
Avira Operations GmbH & Co. KG

Date of registration:
Dec 12th 2008

Operating System:
Windows 7 RC 64-bit

Friday, December 12th 2008, 6:04pm

Correction: starting Cobian Backup does bring up a pop-up screen where I press Allow. It saves this rule to the Application List. However it still can't connect.

I haven't changed any defaults since I first installed the Firewall 2 days ago (except said Allow to the pop-up dialog boxes of course), so I shouldn't have any deny rules or other things that would cause this. Do I have to be in expert mode to check them?

Running GTA IV also brings up pop-ups, however none of these are Games for Windows Live related. I don't know whether this is normal or not.

I'm using Vista 32-bit.

Date of registration:
May 22nd 2006

Operating System:
XP

Monday, December 15th 2008, 10:51am

Hi,
GTA IV is using the following ports and protocols:
UDP ports: 6672, 28900
TCP ports: 8001, 27900

Please manually add rules for these. Also, please note that I can't verify those informations.
Nicolae Moldoveanu

Date of registration:
Dec 12th 2008

Operating System:
Windows 7 RC 64-bit

Friday, December 19th 2008, 1:49pm

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate your help.

I made these changes:

Are these correct? GTA works with these settings, so I guess they are in that part :) I just want to make sure I'm not opening anything I shouldn't.

I figured out how to make Cobian Backup work:

I cliked the marked "Always allow" button, and it started to work. Is there a different list for these additional allow/deny rules, or do they only show up like that when the connection is active? Shouldn't the initial Allow/Deny popup window give the program full access? Guess not.

However, one question remains.. Why do I have to manually make these changes, why doesn't it work right away? I have never had these kind of problems with free firewalls.. And now when I paid for one, this is what I get? Yet another program that doesn't work properly with Avira Firewall is Uniball.

EDIT: Uniball was tested on another computer, so it's not just my computer with these problems.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "User_973" (Dec 19th 2008, 1:55pm)

Date of registration:
May 22nd 2006

Operating System:
XP

Friday, December 19th 2008, 4:15pm

Hi,
I'm glad that you managed to get it work.
About your question: there is a balance between security and functionality. Next release will fix this inconvenience.
Nicolae Moldoveanu

Date of registration:
Dec 12th 2008

Operating System:
Windows 7 RC 64-bit

Friday, December 19th 2008, 5:00pm

Yes I got that to work.. However, that method won't work if the program connects to different server (different ip) every time, like games often do.

I tried this with Left4Dead, can't get it to work.

And now, when I went back to see adapter rules, I see this:

There's some new rules that I have no idea what their purpose is or how they got there, and my old rules (that I created in previous post) have changed! And even though their names include "block" they are actually "allow" rules..

The conclusion is that this firewall is WAY too complicated to use for a normal user and requires lots of work to get new programs to work with it. I won't be recommending this for my friends at it's current state. I have no idea how you don't hear this more often. How do I turn the Firewall part of my Security Suite off so that it doesn't start with Windows?

I'll be waiting for that next release (but as the last Firewall update was 16.5.2008, it might take a while..).

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "User_973" (Dec 19th 2008, 5:01pm)

Date of registration:
May 22nd 2006

Operating System:
XP

Monday, December 22nd 2008, 2:19pm

Hi,
The marked rules are automatically generated by AntiVir because you were scanned by another IP for instance.
Nicolae Moldoveanu