You are not logged in.

Wednesday, April 23rd 2014, 10:53pm

Dear visitor, welcome to Avira Support Forum. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

nomnex

Community member

• "nomnex" started this thread

Date of registration:
May 7th 2009

Friday, May 8th 2009, 5:34am

Function of the Rescue CD Explained

I use Avira Antivir Free. I have little expertise regarding effective infections. I can study the processes of a virus sample when I run it in a sandbox (not a virtual machine), but the effects are limited to the sandbox, and It is difficult to access the damages.

a. I am interested to know in which conditions I could need the rescue CD. Can you provide a few examples (the more the better) of situations where Avira Antivir has be inefficient and the rescue CD was needed.

b. What does the rescue CD do Avira Antivir Presonal Free edition does not?

c. In the case of a boot virus, what is happening? Avira Antivir Guard pops-in. Or is it only during a system scan I can delete the infected boot.ini and a new one is re-created?
XP Pro Sp3 Virtual Box - FF No Script

johnyjohn

Date of registration:
Mar 28th 2008

Version:
Avira Free Antivirus
Avira Antivirus Premium
Avira Internet Security

Operating System:
Windows 7 SP1 / Windows Vista & 8 on VBox

Friday, May 8th 2009, 11:24am

Hi nomnex,

Please read this article. It explains in which situations Avira Rescue CD is efficient.

If you do not know how to use it, take a look at the tutorial in my signature.
Cordialement - Best regards - Grüße :)
Aucun support par message privé - No support per PM - Kein Support über PN
Une assistance téléphonique en français est disponible pour Avira Antivirus Premium et Avira Internet Security : voici le lien
Tutoriels en français : HijackThis - Rescue CD - Malwarebytes’
English Tutorials : HijackThis - Rescue CD - Malwarebytes’

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "johnyjohn" (May 8th 2009, 11:26am)

nomnex

Community member

Date of registration:
May 7th 2009

Saturday, May 9th 2009, 2:55pm

Hi johnyjon

I need more information

> (From the link) The offline scan of the Avira AntiVir Rescue CD can also be used to examine an infected computer. This helps to detect malware before it gets active or before it is difficult to remove once the operating system is active. Stealth viruses no longer remain hidden: The Rescue System blocks the disguised harmful programs providing a clean operating system.

a. It is different from a Scan with Antivir in safe mode, correct? Somehow, the recovery CD will bypass the native OS to perform the scan.
b. for a maximum efficiency the recovery CD has to be downloaded/burnt at the time of the computer infection (for a question of virus definition). You cannot create on CD and keep it updated with new virus definition?

Thanks

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "nomnex" (May 9th 2009, 2:56pm)

johnyjohn

Date of registration:
Mar 28th 2008

Version:
Avira Free Antivirus
Avira Antivirus Premium
Avira Internet Security

Operating System:
Windows 7 SP1 / Windows Vista & 8 on VBox

Saturday, May 9th 2009, 5:56pm

Hi nomnex,

a. The scan can be performed independently from your OS.

b. You have to burn a new CD. You cannot update it. So you can you a rewritable CD.
Cordialement - Best regards - Grüße :)
Aucun support par message privé - No support per PM - Kein Support über PN
Une assistance téléphonique en français est disponible pour Avira Antivirus Premium et Avira Internet Security : voici le lien
Tutoriels en français : HijackThis - Rescue CD - Malwarebytes’
English Tutorials : HijackThis - Rescue CD - Malwarebytes’

nomnex

Community member

Date of registration:
May 7th 2009

Monday, May 11th 2009, 8:12am

Good to go now. Thanks.