You are not logged in.

Wednesday, July 30th 2014, 11:14pm

The Avira Forum will be moved to the new platform Avira Answers soon. We'll make the transition of existing user profiles and threads as smooth as possible.
New visitors are able to log in on Avira Answers with the existing Avira account directly or sign up with a new account.

• "INESWAIZ" started this thread

Date of registration:
Jun 1st 2009

Monday, June 1st 2009, 11:59pm

I cannot uninstall Avira

I erased Avira visible files. I downloaded the uninstallation package (which asked me to close all the programs) and I downloaded Avira AntiVir Registry Cleaner. But Avira is still in my list of Programs.
How can I erase all Avira files from my PC? Thanks in advance.

NiteHawk

Community member

Date of registration:
Feb 14th 2006

Operating System:
XP Pro SP3, Windows 7 Pro - Ubuntu 10.04 LTS

Tuesday, June 2nd 2009, 12:09am

Well, normally you would uninstall it just like any other program using "Add / remove programs" in Windows' Control Panel. If this no longer works for you (your description to me sounds as if you have manually deleted files), please follow the instructions at http://www.avira.com/en/support/kbdetails.php?id=135. If you can't delete the entry from the software list, reinstalling AntiVir once more and performing a proper uninstall might help. (There are also third-party tools that might allow you to delete 'orphaned' entries from the list.)

Regards, NiteHawk

Date of registration:
Jun 1st 2009

Tuesday, June 2nd 2009, 1:51am

I cannot access Avira files in order to delete them

NiteHawk. Thank you for your post. I read the link you suggested me. I found in C: programs a folder called AntiVir.
The files inside that folder cannot be deleted because access to them is forbidden. I right click them, enter to Properties. They are not in read-only mode. How can I delete them? Thank you in advance.

NiteHawk

Community member

Date of registration:
Feb 14th 2006

Operating System:

Tuesday, June 2nd 2009, 9:17am

Repeating: please don't delete files (until absolutely necessary), instead uninstall the program.

From your description it's entirely unclear to me if you still have AntiVir running (an active AntiVir and its "Product protection" might explain the behaviour you observed), or if you have (partially?) deleted it (which is a very bad idea, normally resulting in problems to do a proper uninstall afterwards) - or if you are just trying to do this, but not able to. You also mentioned Avira's RegCleaner - if you ran it and rebooted afterwards, AntiVir shouldn't be active any more... ?(

Regards, NiteHawk

Date of registration:
Jun 1st 2009

Tuesday, June 2nd 2009, 3:18pm

Cannot delete 100 remaining Avira files

Dear NiteHawk, Thank you for you assistance.
As I did not know, I manually deleted the Avira files. Then I run the Avira's RegCleaner. Avira is not running any more in my PC.
But, still in C:\Programs\AntivirDesktop and C:\Programs\AntivirDesktop\Failsafe there are some 100 files (with dll, vdf, avp and avr extensions). When I try to delete them, there appears a message: "Access is denied". How can I delete them? Thanks and best regards. I W.

NiteHawk

Community member

Date of registration:
Feb 14th 2006

Operating System:

Tuesday, June 2nd 2009, 3:31pm

Hi Ines!

Hmmm... You probably need administrative rights to do so ("Access denied" may be the result of insufficient user privileges). Note that under Vista (I don't know your OS) you even may be running as "Administrator" and still require additional rights (UAC).

It could be necessary to take over ownership ("possession") of the files/folders: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320081

Regards, NiteHawk

Date of registration:
Jun 1st 2009

Tuesday, June 2nd 2009, 4:22pm

Cannof find solution to my problem- Avira started to scan at 12:00

Dear NiteHawk, I want to rectify myself. Avira started to scan my PC at 12:00. How are locked these files? I tried the methods suggested in the Microsoft link but they did not work. I am using Windows XP. Regards, Ines.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "INESWAIZ" (Jun 2nd 2009, 4:26pm)

NiteHawk

Community member

Date of registration:
Feb 14th 2006

Operating System:

Tuesday, June 2nd 2009, 5:12pm

As I said before:

Quoted from "NiteHawk"

an active AntiVir and its "Product protection" might explain the behaviour you observed

I still have no information as to why using Control Panel - Add/Remove Programs doesn't work for you.

If it fails, please refer to the KB article again (http://www.avira.com/en/support/kbdetails.php?id=135), and try the following:
  • Boot your PC into safe mode.
  • Run Avira's Registry Cleaner.
  • Reboot (into normal mode).
  • Delete the remaining folders manually (...\Avira...\, ...\AntiVir...\ in C:\Program Files\ and C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\)
Regards, NiteHawk

Date of registration:
Jun 1st 2009

Tuesday, June 2nd 2009, 6:05pm

Format the hard disk?

Dear NiteHawk, Thank you.
Avira is not in the list of Add/Remove programs. But it is in the list of programs and it is working. I arrived to the files you suggested and was able to delete some. The rest keep saying "Access denied". Perhaps should I format the hard disk?
Is there any safe program that can remove these files?
Best regards, Ines