You are not logged in.

Monday, April 21st 2014, 4:46pm

Dear visitor, welcome to Avira Support Forum. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Saturday, February 13th 2010, 1:47am

Daily Updates - How to disable???

I have seen this question asked before, and yet, all I see for replies is the same thing, over and over.

Avira Personal version 9. XP Pro w/SP3

Scheduler - Daily Updates entry -- This has *NOTHING* to do with Product Updates!

If I uncheck it, within a day (when I come back from work), it has automatically updated the VIRUS DEFINITIONS, and the schedule entry is RE-ENABLED.

If I delete the 'Daily Update' in the Scheduler, same thing, within a day it is back and enabled again.

Disabling the scheduler within Services works, but then I cannot do a manual check for updates.

I want product AND virus definitions to be manual, NOT automatic...ever. But I don't want to lose any functionality (ie guard etc).

What's the fix?

bo.elam

Community member

Date of registration:
May 25th 2009

Version:
none

Operating System:
XP

Saturday, February 13th 2010, 2:51am

I do updates the way you want to and what I do is disable the daily
update under scheduler. Then I go into configuration and tick expert
mode. Now hit general tab and under update I click and enable
"Download and install product updates automatically". Dont forget
to hit apply. Thats what I do and get what you want so give it a try . It
has never fail on me as the program has never self updated.
Bo

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "bo.elam" (Feb 13th 2010, 2:52am)

Tuesday, February 16th 2010, 6:46am

I repeat, my issue has NOTHING to do with Product Updates, the disabling of that aspect seems to function with no issue.

As it stands, the only way I can stop the automatic daily updates is to disable the service within XP itself. I have to disable 'Protect Services from unwanted termination', stop the service, and then the updates stop. But then I have to restart the service to run the update manually, then go through all that again to re-disable it.

And again, I repeat, disabling the Daily Updates does NOTHING. Disabling, or deleting...the updates get downloaded and updated automatically, and the task is re-created / re-enabled again.

I started using Avira after AVG bloated what was an excellent AV program, but the functionality, and the fact that this AV does NOT work as it claims (my issue above is not uncommon, google it and see for yourself), is having me looking for an alternative yet again.

So let's see...

Bloated AV prog that interferes or takes too much control, or requires micromanagement, free or otherwise, or...AV programs that do not function as they should.

WHY AV developers insist on adding abilities to their programs is beyond me. I would never use an AV program to do anything but protect from viruses, but no, every one of them adds all sorts of other abilities that are either better off as a standalone app (malwarebytes anti-malware is one of many excellent programs for this task), or insists on throwing ads and other nonsense just to make themselves stand out...all the while all it ever does is piss people off and drive them away from the product (AVG is a perfect example). I can only assume they are targeting people who just plain don't know any better, and that is just so so sad.

End of rant.

Somebody lock this thread before I type something I may regret X(

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Wewpt" (Feb 16th 2010, 7:01am)

Farger

Date of registration:
Jul 10th 2009

Version:
Avira Free Antivirus
Avira Ultimate Protection Suite
Avira Internet Security

Operating System:
Windows XP/ Windows 7

Tuesday, February 16th 2010, 10:30pm

Hi Wewpt,

As it stands, the only way I can stop the automatic daily updates is to disable the service within XP itself. I have to disable 'Protect Services from unwanted termination', stop the service, and then the updates stop. But then I have to restart the service to run the update manually, then go through all that again to re-disable it.

And again, I repeat, disabling the Daily Updates does NOTHING. Disabling, or deleting...the updates get downloaded and updated automatically, and the task is re-created / re-enabled again.

Lets look on possible variants:

What options for updating are chosen by you?

The are 3 of them:

Quoted

Download and automatically install product updates

If this option is enabled, product updates are downloaded and automatically installed by AntiVir Updater as soon as updates become available.. Updates to the virus definition file and search engine are carried out independently of this setting. The conditions for this option are: complete configuration of the update and an open connection to a download server.

Notification when new product updates are available

If this option is enabled, you will be notified by email when new product updates become available. Updates to the virus definition file and search engine are carried out independently of this setting. The conditions for this option are: complete configuration of the update and an open connection to a download server. You will receive notifications via a desktop popup window and via a warning message from AntiVir Updater in the Control Center under Overview ::Events.

Do not download product updates

If this option is enabled, no automatic product updates or notifications of available product updates by AntiVir Updater are carried out. Updates to the virus definition file and search engine are carried out independently of this setting.

Important
An update of the virus definition file and of the search engine is carried out during every update process independent of the settings for the product update

P.S. Unticking Daily update job indeed works ;)
Scotty is currently on patrol

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "Farger" (Feb 16th 2010, 10:33pm)

Wednesday, February 17th 2010, 1:52am

I see I am running into the same obstacles others have, I am somewhat concerned that either I am not being clear enough, or, those who are taking their time to try to help...are not understanding the issue.

---
Three (3) Options, not three (3) settings. You must choose one of the three (3) :

My choice : Do not download product updates

"P.S. Unticking Daily update job indeed works" - NO, it doesn't. And I know of at least 3 other people, that are having the exact same issue.

---

Yesterday, I did as Bo.elam suggested and as usual, it did exactly what I described.

disable the daily update under scheduler - DONE

go into configuration and tick expert mode. Now hit general tab and under update I click and enable "Download and install product updates automatically". Dont forget to hit apply. - DONE, although I fail to see how *enabling* product updates has *anything* to do with daily virus definition updates or how enabling them would somehow stop daily updates...

And what did I see when I got home?

The usual splash/add popup.

When I looked at the settings :

Daily Updates was ENABLED. WHY? I specifically DISABLED it. If I DELETE it, it comes BACK, ENABLED.

---

I appreciate the fact that you two are trying to help, but this is obviously not something that is going to be resolved quickly.

Thank you both for taking your time to try to assist, but I think I'll start looking elsewhere for another AV program.

I won't be watching this thread from this point on.

Wewpt

Farger

Date of registration:
Jul 10th 2009

Version:
Avira Free Antivirus
Avira Ultimate Protection Suite
Avira Internet Security

Operating System:
Windows XP/ Windows 7

Wednesday, February 17th 2010, 8:07am

Hi Wewpt,

It is up to you what AV product to choose. I have the same settings as Bo has adviced you: Daily update is unticked, "Download and install product updates automatically" is enabled and after that Daily update doesn't return to be enabled ?(
Scotty is currently on patrol

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Farger" (Feb 17th 2010, 8:07am)

bo.elam

Community member

Date of registration:
May 25th 2009

Version:
none

Operating System:
XP

Saturday, February 20th 2010, 4:26am

Hi Wewpt, maybe you ought to uninstall Avira , run their registry cleaner
and reinstall. I did that for another reason last week and it worked perfectly.
W don't make the mistake of going back to AVG. I use to use it before coming
to Avira and will not like going back to a AV that don't give you any protection
against rootkits. You should also compare how much memory both of them
use and you ll see that Avira uses almost none compared to AVG. So just
uninstall Avira ,use the cleaner and install it back. Maybe that's the fix you are
looking for.
Take care buddy.
Bo

Date of registration:
Jan 5th 2009

Operating System:
XP

Tuesday, February 23rd 2010, 9:08am

Hi,

Please follow this procedure
Thanks for choosing Avira
Alexandru Manea