You are not logged in.

Friday, April 25th 2014, 9:35am

Dear visitor, welcome to Avira Support Forum. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "fsa rock" started this thread

Date of registration:
Mar 26th 2010

Monday, December 27th 2010, 2:41pm

avira free suitable for xp sp2?

hi,

I checked the avira site but could not find the necessary specifications anywhere. Maybe I missed it?

my question - will avira free work with windows xp sp2 or even sp1?

thanks.

Michael_Mann

Date of registration:
Oct 24th 2005

Version:
Avira Ultimate Protection Suite
Avira Free Unix/Linux
Avira Android Security

Operating System:
AmigaOS 3.9, Ubuntu 13.10+ & Windows XP SP3, win7 HEdit. 64b (sp1)

Monday, December 27th 2010, 2:55pm

Avira runs on windows xp sp2 and higher. SP1 isn't supported
But sp2 (and also sp1) aren't supported by MS now, so you should install therefore sp3.
Meine PCs: Amiga 1200 und WinUAE. Daf├╝r ist Virenfreiheit garantiert.
Links: Tipps & Tricks -- HiJackThis -- Video Anleitungen
I speak german and english only

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Michael_Mann" (Dec 27th 2010, 3:04pm)

Tuesday, December 28th 2010, 1:35am

I have Avira 9 free on a virtual machine running XP Pro SP2. It works fine but there is a really irritating bug in it that maybe affects only SP2 and maybe that is why Avira never fixed the bug. I noticed it during beta testing for Avira 9 and reported it. The bug irritates me so much that I won't run ver 9 on my host XP Pro Sp 2 machine. On the host machine I use Avira 8. The bug that irritates me so much is that right after any of the daily four updates I have scheduled do an actual update, I get a slideup saying that Avira has not updated in more than one day and would I like to update it. It just updated! I also get that stupid slide up EVERY SINGLE HOUR. After a while, that becomes quite irritating. Avira 8 does not have this bug.

I have a virtual machine running XP Pro SP1a and Avira 8 works fine on it. Avira 9 won't run on it. Avira 8 and 9 get engine and vdf updates the same as Avira 10. Avira 8 cannot use the new updating system that was put in place a little over a year ago that stopped most of the problems with clogged servers when there was a really large update. Avira 8 still gets the huge update by the old method so about once a month, maybe twice a month, it may have a problem getting the huge update. If you have one of your scheduled updates during Germany's sleep time it will get the big file then with no difficulty. You can also do a manual update on those few occasions.
"If you want to do DRM on a PC then you need to treat the user as the enemy." Ross Anderson in "`Trusted Computing' Frequently Asked Questions"

north450

Community member

Date of registration:
Jan 19th 2006

Tuesday, December 28th 2010, 4:57am

Michael_Mann

Why should one install sp3 if they have a amd processor .
There is a 5 per cent chance of a bad installation.
xp sp3 loads a intelppm driver on the sp3 and that may cause lots of problems.
furthermore to give such advice may cause a person who is not familiar with computers to have to go to a computer shop to reinstall
his windows and that costs 125 dollars to do so .
Also windows 7 is the new operating system of microsoft and is it the best interest of microsoft to give good support for it.
the new browser 9 will not be supported in xp.
Last but not least if the operating system is working well why download sp3 .
If microsoft tells you jump do you have to.
Also why
http://www.microsoft.com/security/msrc/c…ation/mapp.aspx

is Avira not a member of this.
Was made aware of this by one of the distinguished members of this forum.