You are not logged in.

Wednesday, April 23rd 2014, 4:20pm

Dear visitor, welcome to Avira Support Forum. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "beatnik" started this thread

Date of registration:
Oct 11th 2011

Operating System:
xp

Tuesday, October 11th 2011, 1:17am

Free Avira and XP SP2 64 bit

Hello, I tried upgrading to the new version of Free Avira but when I tried installing I received an error message that suggested that I need XP sp2 “64 bit”. I have 32 bit. So is that correct, Avira free will no longer run on my XP SP2 “32 bit xp platform, or am I missing something here?

-Thanks

Elwood

Community member

Date of registration:
Jan 6th 2006

Version:
Avira Free Antivirus

Operating System:
XP HE Sp3

Tuesday, October 11th 2011, 4:51am

You need SP3, the new version of Avira requires it.
SeaMonkey 2.23
Firefox 26

Wednesday, October 12th 2011, 2:42am

You are not alone. I use XP Pro SP2 and will NOT upgrade to SP3. I had SP3 on a virtual machine running XP Pro when it first came out. I went back to SP2. after trying SP3 for about two 2 weeks. It doesn't really matter to me because Avira lost my trust when they partnered with sleazware vendor ASK.com and scareware vendor Uniblue. I have removed Avira 9 from the virtual machine. I do still have Avira 8 on my host XP Pro SP2 machine but evidently Avira is going to stop those of us who use ver 8 and 9 from getting VDF and engine updates as of Jan 31, 2012 (even though the license doesn't expire until Nov 30, 2012...that is more evidence that Avira is no longer trustworthy - allowing inaccurate license date). I've left Avira 8 on this machine only because it is close to 6 years old, heavily used and my only machine. I am afraid to "disturb" it with a different AV (I started with Avira 7 on this machine).

I would suggest you look for another AV...unless you want to install SP3. Or you could continue to use version 10 as it will be supported for about a year after 12's release date.
"If you want to do DRM on a PC then you need to treat the user as the enemy." Ross Anderson in "`Trusted Computing' Frequently Asked Questions"

Elwood

Community member

Date of registration:
Jan 6th 2006

Version:
Avira Free Antivirus

Operating System:
XP HE Sp3

Wednesday, October 12th 2011, 2:58am

What exactly did you find wrong with SP3? XP runs better than it ever did before for me...
SeaMonkey 2.23
Firefox 26

Wednesday, October 12th 2011, 11:04am

What exactly did you find wrong with SP3? XP runs better than it ever did before for me...

It's been so long ago that I can't recall now.
"If you want to do DRM on a PC then you need to treat the user as the enemy." Ross Anderson in "`Trusted Computing' Frequently Asked Questions"