You are not logged in.

Wednesday, April 23rd 2014, 10:54pm

Dear visitor, welcome to Avira Support Forum. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "rtxcoon" started this thread

Date of registration:
Dec 18th 2011

Operating System:
XP

Sunday, December 18th 2011, 8:53am

premium download after system problems

my computer crashed, got everything working except Avira Premium, trying to download from site, and running

file, get error about having to manually remove application, I manually removed all files in my Avira directory EXCEPT avsda.dll

it wont let me remove, says its write protected or in use...this is a personal computer, so I dont have to worry about admin person

I tried renaming the file, that lets me delete it, BUT, then my LAN connection quits working, says cant "renew IP address"

if I rename file correctly, I get internet back, but everytime I try to run premium upgrade 2012, get same error to manually remove

old application.... :cursing: :cursing: :cursing:

computer is dell inspiron 9300 1.6 ghz cpu, with 2G of ram

all other malware/cleaners have been deleted,

looks like I am down to this one file that holds the secret key,

oh, I tried to delete it in safe mode as well, and it gives the same error as being write protected or in use....

redwolfe_98

Community member

Date of registration:
Nov 14th 2006

Version:
Avira Antivirus Suite

Operating System:
Win XPsp3

Sunday, December 18th 2011, 9:18am

try this.. run "command prompt" and use the command "netsh winsock reset" (minus quotations)

after running the command "netsh winsock reset", reboot the computer.. after rebooting, see if you are then able to delete the "avsda.dll" file..

if you think it didn't work, try doing it again.. then, if it didn't work, let us know..
win xpsp3, "windows firewall", avira antivirus suite, SSM, RegDefend

Date of registration:
Dec 18th 2011

Operating System:
XP

Tuesday, December 20th 2011, 2:11am

didnt work, I tried 3 times....still get same error.

I have deleted ALL files in the Avira folder except avsda.dll and when I go to security center

the computer still thinks all my antivirus protection is ok and working....still cant delete that one file

redwolfe_98

Community member

Date of registration:
Nov 14th 2006

Version:
Avira Antivirus Suite

Operating System:
Win XPsp3

Wednesday, December 21st 2011, 10:53am

rtxcoon, i am sorry that i didn't reply sooner..

first of all, here is avira's knowledgebase article about how to manually uninstall the avira program:

http://www.avira.com/en/support-for-home…detail/kbid/902

the instructions, in avira's KB article, don't mention avira files in windows' "drivers" folder which could also be removed.. here is a list of them, relating to the avira premium program, which is what i use.. some that are listed apply to avira 10 premium, some apply to avira 12 premium, so don't worry if you don't see all of them in windows' "drivers" folder:

avgntdd.sys
avgntflt.sys
avgntmgr.sys
avipbb.sys
avkmgr.sys
ssmdrv.sys

the instructions also fail to mention running the command "netsh winsock reset" which might be necessary in order to repair the "LSP stack" when manually uninstalling one of the avira programs..

so, follow the instructions in the avira KB article, for manually uninstalling an avira program.. boot into "safe mode" and, in "safe mode", delete all of the avira files-n-folders.. you could also delete any avira files that you find in windows' "drivers" folder..

then run the avira regcleaner, mentioned in the KB article, to remove avira regkeys.. the avira regcleaner has not been updated to account for regkeys that are associated with the new file, "avkmgr.sys", so you could also use avira's regcleaner to do a custom-search for regkeys associated with the "avkmgr.sys" file..

before trying to install the avira 12 program, reboot and make sure that all avira files-n-folders have been removed.. also, check to see if you are able to connect to the internet.. if you are not able to connect to the internet, use "command prompt" to run the command:

"netsh winsock reset" (minus quotations)

after running the command "netsh winsock reset" (minus quotations) reboot and then see if you are able to connect to the internet..

then, if everything is good, try installing the avira 12 program..

another option, that you could try, if the command "netsh winsock reset" doesn't work, would be to use "LSPFix".. here is a link for it:

http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm

when you run "LSPFix", you will see the "avsda.dll" file listed, which you said you could not remove.. you could use "LSPFix" to remove it, at least to remove it from the "LSP stack".. in the process, it would repair your computer's "LSP stack", if needed.. however, when using "LSPFix", be careful to only remove the "avsda.dll" file from the "LSP stack"..

if you run "LSPFix" and, when you run it, you don't see the "avsda.dll" file listed, then you don't need to worry about removing it, so just close "LSPFix"..

again, after running the command "netsh winsock reset", or, after using "LSPFix" to remove "avsda.dll" from the "LSP stack", you have to reboot your computer in order to restore your computer's ability to connect to the internet..

This post has been edited 3 times, last edit by "redwolfe_98" (Dec 21st 2011, 11:06am)

Date of registration:
Dec 18th 2011

Operating System:
XP

Thursday, December 22nd 2011, 5:18am

thanks for the replies.....

I have attempted to follow all the directions supplied and have removed all the Avira files (I think)

when I run the registry cleaner I get the error "the application has failed to start, because the configuration is incorrect, reinstalling the software may fix the problem"

skipping that, and trying to go directly to installing avira premium 2012 I get the error "some installation files are invalid, please download the file again and try again"

I downloaded the "non internet" version avira_antivirus_premium_en and thats what I am getting the error with

I did get the avsda.dll deleted and have internet back, but unprotected.

I have to admit, this one has me stumped, and VERY irritated. I guess a couple of hours on the phone is the next step

rethinking dropping Mcafee now, at least as slow and obnoxious as it was, I never had to go through this garbage.

redwolfe_98

Community member

Date of registration:
Nov 14th 2006

Version:
Avira Antivirus Suite

Operating System:
Win XPsp3

Thursday, December 22nd 2011, 6:52pm

I manually removed all files in my Avira directory EXCEPT avsda.dll

try this.. run "command prompt" and use the command "netsh winsock reset" (minus quotations)

didnt work, I tried 3 times....still get same error.

rtxcoon, in your original post, you said that you couldn't delete the "avsda.dll" file and i was addressing that issue by suggesting that you try using "command prompt" to run the command "netsh winsock reset".. i assume that running the "netsh winsock reset" command "did work", allowing you to delete the "avsda.dll" file, that when you said "didn't work", you didn't mean that you still were not able to delete the "avsda.dll" file, but, rather, that you still are having problems with installing the "avira 12" program..

in the avira knowledgebase article, about manually uninstalling the avira program, it mentions deleting avira files-n-folders in both the "program files" folder and in the "app data" folder.. i just wanted to mention that in case you overlooked deleting the avira files-n-folders in the "app data" folder.. normally, the "app data" folder would be hidden so you would need to adjust the "folder view" settings, changing them to "show hidden files and folders" in order to be able to access the "app data" folder..

you could use your computer's "search" feature, searching for "avira", to locate avira folders, on your computer.. make sure that you delete all of those as part of manually uninstalling the avira program..

when I run the registry cleaner I get the error "the application has failed to start, because the configuration is incorrect

there is some problem, there.. when you ran the avira regcleaner, did you tweak the configuration settings? if so, maybe that explains the error-message.. try running the avira regcleaner again-using the default configuration..

to correct something that i said before..in addition to running the avira regcleaner with the default configuration, you also could use custom-settings to "search" for regkeys with "avkmgr" in them.. before, i said use "avkmgr.sys".. you should use "avkmgr", not "avkmgr.sys"..

perhaps you have other security-programs running on your computer that are interfering with your running the avira regcleaner utility? if so, you should disable those so that they don't interfere with running the regcleaner utility, or with installing the avira 12 program..

to keep things simple, after making sure that you have deleted all avira files-n-folders, i think you should work on getting the avira regcleaner to run.. i think that it is a simply program and that you shouldn't have any trouble with running it unless you have some other security-programs on your computer that are interfering with its running.. otherwise, there might be some problems with your computer which are preventing the regcleaner program from running..

so, see if you can get the avira regcleaner program to run.. then work on installing the avira 12 program..

in case you need it, here is a link for avira's "download center" where you can download the avira programs and various utilities, including the avira regcleaner utility:

http://www.avira.com/en/support-download

skipping that, and trying to go directly to installing avira premium 2012 I get the error "some installation files are invalid, please download the file again and try again"

did you download the avira 12-installer from the avira website? it is possible that the file, there, is corrupted, but i have never run into that problem when downloading files from the avira website.. i wouldn't be able to tell if the avira 12-installer, there, is corrupted unless i went through the process of trying to install the program myself..

i am thinking that you are having a problem with installing the avira 12 program for the same reason that you are not able to run the avira regcleaner program, which is that you are using some security-program that is interfering with the install..

i have heard that using CPU's (computer processors) that are overclocked can result in files being corrupted.. if you are using an overclocked CPU, it is possible that that caused the avira 12-installer that you downloaded to become corrupted.. or, it is possible that you are using some "download manager" program that is causing the avira 12-installer to become corrupted..

it might help if you posted a "hijackthis"-log.. often, those are used, in this forum, for diagnosing problems.. you can download "hijackthis" from here:

http://free.antivirus.com/hijackthis/?page=download

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "redwolfe_98" (Dec 22nd 2011, 7:01pm)

marfabilis

Date of registration:
May 14th 2010

Version:
Avira Free Antivirus
Avira Antivirus Suite
Avira Internet Security Suite
Avira Internet Security

Operating System:
System of a Down

Thursday, December 22nd 2011, 7:05pm

Hi rtxcoon,

"the application has failed to start, because the configuration is incorrect, reinstalling the software may fix the problem"
Usually, this error is due to some Redistributable package that's missing or corrupted. Please download and install: Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86) (if it's already installed, please choose to repair), then Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86) (if it's already installed, please choose to repair). Reboot and tell me the results.

Marco
| :: RU | EN | PT-BR | ZH-CN | ZH-TW ::

Date of registration:
Dec 18th 2011

Operating System:
XP

Saturday, December 24th 2011, 9:29pm

thanks for that....running those two packages was the fix

had to make two passes but after that I was able to run the registry cleaner and then download and install

the avira premium.....what a pita, but its working again, thanks!!!

marfabilis

Date of registration:
May 14th 2010

Version:
Avira Free Antivirus
Avira Antivirus Suite
Avira Internet Security Suite
Avira Internet Security

Operating System:
System of a Down

Sunday, December 25th 2011, 12:10am

Hi rtxcoon,