You are not logged in.

Thursday, April 24th 2014, 3:33pm

Dear visitor, welcome to Avira Support Forum. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "reddc" started this thread

Date of registration:
Sep 16th 2010

Sunday, July 15th 2012, 1:01am

How to uninstall Avira Antivirus

Hi,

I cannot get rid of this antivirus on my computer, it says do it manually, well I only know the basics of a computer and this is complex to me, I tried updating it but everything I do comes up with an error this one is error 7, why does it make it so hard to remove? I have no antivirus on my computer at the moment, as when I try to downlaod another it won' let me, and keeps saying get rid of all other antiviruses, but I can't , can anyone help me please, thank you. ?(

Barrie

Community member

Date of registration:
Jan 31st 2006

Version:
none

Operating System:
Mac OS X 10.8.3

Sunday, July 15th 2012, 9:33am

Hi,

Here is a link on how to manually un install, also download the Avira registry cleaner from here and run it after you have completed the previous instructions.

Re error code 7 have a look here.

Barrie
Cordialement - Grüße and Regards.

[Avira Tech Blog - Avira VL Virusscan.jotti -HijackThis - - Avira tools - Online shop - Avira safe mode scan
Sorry NO support via PM > Kein Support über PN > Aucun support par message privé.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Barrie" (Jul 15th 2012, 9:37am)

Date of registration:
Sep 16th 2010

Tuesday, July 17th 2012, 12:18am

Hi,

Thanks for getting back to me, but when I try to remove it from add/remove the error code 7 comes up, I downloaded the registry cleaner, and it would not remove all the keys, I am at a loss as to what to do?

Barrie

Community member

Date of registration:
Jan 31st 2006

Version:
none

Operating System:
Mac OS X 10.8.3

Tuesday, July 17th 2012, 1:16pm

Hi,

Sorry to here this, try Revo you can download it from here. Once you have run it and removed Avira run the Avira reg cleaner once or twice. Then post back results.

Barrie

[Avira Tech Blog - Avira VL Virusscan.jotti -HijackThis - - Avira tools - Online shop - Avira safe mode scan
Sorry NO support via PM > Kein Support über PN > Aucun support par message privé.

Date of registration:
Sep 16th 2010

Tuesday, July 17th 2012, 10:06pm

Hi Barry, thanks for all your help, there is something very strange happening, the icon for antivira is not showing up like it usually does on the bottom right of the computer near the time, also it has disappeared from the add/remove window. The places it is showing up is on my computer in program files, and control panel, when I try to dlete it from programs I get a message saying: cannot delete about. htm: access denied, make sure the disk is not full or write-protected, and that the file is not currently in use, in the control panel it has the icon antivirdesktop, but it is not appearing on my main desktop?

Denise.

Date of registration:
Sep 16th 2010

Tuesday, July 17th 2012, 10:07pm

Hi Barry, thanks for all your help, there is something very strange happening, the icon for antivira is not showing up like it usually does on the bottom right of the computer near the time, also it has disappeared from the add/remove window. The places it is showing up is on my computer in program files, and control panel, when I try to dlete it from programs I get a message saying: cannot delete about. htm: access denied, make sure the disk is not full or write-protected, and that the file is not currently in use, in the control panel it has the icon antivirdesktop, but it is not appearing on my main desktop? Forgot to add its noy in revo uninstaller either.

Denise.

Barrie

Community member

Date of registration:
Jan 31st 2006

Version:
none

Operating System:
Mac OS X 10.8.3

Tuesday, July 17th 2012, 11:41pm

Hi Denise,

Things defiantly seem to be a little screwed up here, only partly deleted. 8|

Quoted

Quote by reddc
when I try to dlete it from programs I get a message saying: cannot delete about. htm: access denied,

Try the long route, go into your services folder and stop any Avira services, now open the Avira folder in programs then open any folder within this until you only have files showing. Now individually delete these files working your way back to the Avira programs folder but do not delete any folders yet.
Once done empty the trash can. Now open the registry and manually delete any Avira registry keys and the Avira software folder, once done close and reboot. Once done delete the Avira programs folder. Hope this makes sense. Also what OS are you running?
What is the result.

Barrie

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Barrie" (Jul 18th 2012, 8:54am)

Date of registration:
Sep 16th 2010

Wednesday, July 18th 2012, 8:30pm

Hi Barry,

You won't believe this but it is not giving me the option to stop, all the other programmes are saying you can stop or start but not this, I am on AOL, but have broadband by sky. Sorry to keep bothering you.

Denise.

Barrie

Community member

Date of registration:
Jan 31st 2006

Version:
none

Operating System:
Mac OS X 10.8.3

Wednesday, July 18th 2012, 8:52pm

Hi Denise,

Once you have booted the PC and all is loaded, open task manager and quit all Avira running processes. Then go to your services folder and try again.

Something has really got badly messed up here, ?( as usually Avira is easy to remove.

Barrie

Date of registration:
Sep 16th 2010

Friday, July 20th 2012, 10:08pm

Hi Barry,

It is not showing up in the task manager, the only place I can find it is in services and you cannot stop it, and my computer program files.

Denise.

Barrie

Community member

Date of registration:
Jan 31st 2006

Version:
none

Operating System:
Mac OS X 10.8.3

Saturday, July 21st 2012, 12:48am

Hi Denise,

The only thing I can think off is that you may have had file protection turned on within Avira's configuration. Can you reinstall Avira? So as to get the desktop GUI accessible again. If you can then go into configuration and make sure the above box is not checked. Then uninstall as I suggested.

As I said this whole situation is very strange and unusual. ?(

Barrie

Date of registration:
Sep 16th 2010

Saturday, July 21st 2012, 10:36pm

Hi Barry, had tried this before, but just gave it another go, a message came up saying: setup could not determine the feature file, or was not able to read it correctly, your existing avira version could not be removed automatically, please execute a manuel uninstallation.

Denise.

Date of registration:
Sep 16th 2010

Sunday, July 22nd 2012, 12:07am

Hi Barry,

I have managed to open the configuration box from my computer files, the only thing I can see is the following: All Files, Use smart extension which is ticked and, use file extension list?

Barrie

Community member

Date of registration:
Jan 31st 2006

Version:
none

Operating System:
Mac OS X 10.8.3

Tuesday, July 24th 2012, 9:50am

Hi Denise,

That option is under guard > scan, you need to make sure the box top left of the configeration window is checked then then look for file protection and unckeck.

I am away as of today so will ask a mod to step in.

Barrie

Farger

Date of registration:
Jul 10th 2009

Version:
Avira Free Antivirus
Avira Ultimate Protection Suite
Avira Internet Security

Operating System:
Windows XP/ Windows 7

Tuesday, July 24th 2012, 1:29pm

Hi reddc,

What is the current situation?
Scotty is currently on patrol

Date of registration:
Sep 16th 2010

Wednesday, July 25th 2012, 12:04am

Hi Farger,

I have opened the configuration page but I cannot find anything with file protection, all I can see is Overview, Local Protection and Administration, thanks for helping me.

Denise.

Farger

Date of registration:
Jul 10th 2009

Version:
Avira Free Antivirus
Avira Internet Security

Operating System:
Windows XP/ Windows 7

Wednesday, July 25th 2012, 1:06pm

Hi,

Since you have opened main Avira GUi, now navigate to Extras -> Configuration:

Now navigate to the General -> Security -> Product Protection and untick all items from this section (Protect processes from unwanted termination, Advanced process protection, Protect files and registry entries from manipulation)

Date of registration:
Sep 16th 2010

Thursday, July 26th 2012, 8:32pm

Hi,

Have got to general then security but cannot see anything that says product protection, all that comes up when I press security is a box that says alert, if last update older than, the only boxes I can see that can be unticked are adware, spyware, application, back door client etc?

Farger

Date of registration:
Jul 10th 2009

Version:
Avira Free Antivirus
Avira Internet Security

Operating System:
Windows XP/ Windows 7

Thursday, July 26th 2012, 9:35pm

Hi,

Please make a screenshot of the "Security" item of Avira configuration and post it in your next reply (How to post a screenshot on the forum)

Date of registration:
Sep 23rd 2012

Version:
Avira Free Antivirus

Operating System:
Windows XP

Sunday, September 23rd 2012, 8:51pm

Automotive removal

Another option you can try is a free generic AV uninstall utility called AppRemover that removes several versions of Avira (and that of other AV vendors).
Avira supposedly now uses it internally in its product installers. ..

It can be downloaded from www.appremover.com.

The list of AVs that can removed is maintained at http://www.appremover.com/supported-applications and is typically updated/expanded monthly

Hope that helps!!