You are not logged in.

Friday, April 18th 2014, 2:31am

Dear visitor, welcome to Avira Support Forum. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "genegold" started this thread

Date of registration:
Apr 25th 2009

Saturday, April 25th 2009, 5:10pm

AntiVir icon not in Notification Tray

I just installed and updated AntiVir Personal, disabled AVG at startup and have restarted twice. Avguard is running but isn't there supposed to be a program icon in the tray? It was there after the install but I'm not so sure after the update. I should add that I initially installed AntiVir without disabling AVG, SAS Pro and Comodo BOC and it looked ok, but to be safe disabled them and did a AV repair install.

XP/SP3
AntiVir Personal 9.0.0.387 / 7.01.03.109
Comodo Firewall
Comodo BOC 4.27
SuperAntiSpyware Pro
Spyware Blaster

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "genegold" (Apr 25th 2009, 5:35pm)

Date of registration:
Apr 25th 2009

Sunday, April 26th 2009, 9:53am

Since posting, I've run full scans three times, the last time from Safe Mode with System Restore off, just in case any infections were causing the icon not to show in the tray. The Safe mode run only found one item in a Sys Restore folder, so my computer appears to be clean. But the icon is still not there.

Date of registration:
Jan 5th 2009

Operating System:
XP

Monday, April 27th 2009, 9:41am

Hi,

Be sure that Avira processes are allowed in Comodo Firewall, and AVG is completely uninstall.
Thanks for choosing Avira
Alexandru Manea
Avira Operations GmbH & Co. KG

Date of registration:
Apr 25th 2009

Monday, April 27th 2009, 5:22pm

[quote='Alexandru Manea',index.php?page=Thread&postID=776420#post776420]Hi,

Be sure that Avira processes are allowed in Comodo Firewall, and AVG is completely uninstall.[/quote]

The only Avira process I see in Task Mgr is avguard.exe. Adding that to Comodo and rebooting didn't get the tray icon. My list of Avira's Trusted Applications in Comodo also includes avscan, avgnt, avnotify and schedule. What am I missing? Thanks.

Date of registration:
Apr 25th 2009

Monday, April 27th 2009, 7:18pm

[quote='genegold',index.php?page=Thread&postID=776676#post776676][quote='Alexandru Manea',index.php?page=Thread&postID=776420#post776420]Hi,

Be sure that Avira processes are allowed in Comodo Firewall, and AVG is completely uninstall.[/quote]

The only Avira process I see in Task Mgr is avguard.exe. Adding that to Comodo and rebooting didn't get the tray icon. My list of Avira's Trusted Applications in Comodo also includes avscan, avgnt, avnotify and schedule. What am I missing? Thanks.[/quote]

It's too late to edit. Add to that Avira Trusted Apps list "update." Avira's update just came through, I approved about 5 times in Comodo, and the icon ended up in the tray. However, upon rebooting, it isn't there.

Date of registration:
Apr 25th 2009

Tuesday, April 28th 2009, 1:07am

Reading around, I pick up the sense that avgnt.exe generates the tray icon. When I didn't see it in the Start Menu or Start folder, I figured avguard.exe must be the one. Plus it was already a Trusted application in Comodo. In any event, I just created an avgnt.exe shortcut in the Start folder, rebooted and it looks ok. Was that the way to do it?

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "genegold" (Apr 28th 2009, 1:24am)

Date of registration:
Jan 5th 2009

Operating System:
XP

Tuesday, April 28th 2009, 8:41am

Hi,

This is one way to do it.
Thanks for choosing Avira
Alexandru Manea
Avira Operations GmbH & Co. KG

Date of registration:
Apr 25th 2009

Tuesday, April 28th 2009, 10:22am

[quote='Alexandru Manea',index.php?page=Thread&postID=777061#post777061]Hi,

This is one way to do it.[/quote]

Elsewhere, someone said the install should have put avgnt.exe in the registry and thus suggested a repair install. Actually I did one right after the intial install, for reasons I'm forgetting now. Guess it didn't take.